Lily sugar n cream Granny squares bag Gauge Help

catwoman

Question

Hi.:) I was wondering if you guys can help me with this pattern.Its from the lily sugar n cream granny sqaures bag .I am having a hard time with the gauge on this pattern.It says Gauge -One Motif =9 cm/ 3,5 INCHES?:( I didnt think a measuring tape goes to 3.5 inches?:noAnd what is 9 cms?The measurements on the pattern says APPROX 23 CM/9 INCHES PER SQAURE?:cry

I need you guts help with this one.

6 answers to this question

cms = centimeters.  A lot of times you'll see a gauge swatch as 4 inches, or 10 centimeters for example. 

2.54 centimeters=1 inch.  23 cm divided by 2.54 = 9.055 inches

I'm in the US, but a lot of times I like to measure in centimeters because it's much easier than inches to do the math (decimals easier than fractions in fourth, eighth, sixteenths of an inch)

I took a scan of a 6" ruler which had cms on the opposite side, and 'flipped' the cm side so they all read in the same direction.  The numbers on the centimeter (metric) side are cms, the little marks are mms (tenths of centimeters; centimeter is 1/100 of a meter, mm is 1/1000 of a meter

Inches to MM.jpg

Heh, thanks.  Actually I'm always annoyed that the rulers don't come this way in the first place; I think it would give us in the US a better rough idea of the relationship between the 2.  (after using metric all my working career, I really wish the US would have stepped out of the back woods and converted to metric decades ago with the rest of the world, but that's another story)

Archived