Very basic how to hold crochet yarn

Edgerallenpoedameron

Question

So, I learned to knit before I learned how to crochet. I've made several things and it seems to work ok but just let me know if I'm doing it wrong? If I need to relearn how to do it or of its ok the way I am doing it now. On this site: https://www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/blogs/how-to/162155143-learn-crochet-from-the-start-how-to-hold-your-hook-and-yarn the closest one to the way I crochet is using one hand and looping the loose yarn with my right hand and holding the tension with my right hand as well. So it looks like I'm knitting in a way. Should I relearn how to crochet the way everyone else seems to? Or is it ok that I'm doing it this way?

6 answers to this question

In knitting you can hold the yarn's tension in either hand. (Right for English style or left for Continental style.) Yarn over means wrapping the yarn around the needle counter-clockwise. 

In crochet you hold the hook in one hand and the yarn's tension in the other hand. Yarn over means wrapping the yarn around the hook clockwise. 

Holding the hook in your right hand is right-handed crocheting. Your left hand is your yarn guide, creates yarn tension and holds your wip (work in progress.) Each finger on your left hand has a job. 

Index finger: this is your yarn guide. Stick it straight out and don't bend it or use it for anything else. Lay yarn over the finger.

Thumb and middle finger: use these to hold your wip. They constantly move while acting as a stitch guide.

Ring and pinky: use these to create tension. Some hold the yarn against their palm. Some wrap the yarn around the pinky. Do what works for you. 

Your right hand only holds the hook. Some hold it like a pencil. Others hold it like a knife. Do what works for you. 

To yarn over, move the hook, not the yarn. With the hook pointed up, move the hook under the yarn from the front. Grab the yarn while rotating the hook. With the hook pointed down, draw the yarn through a stitch or loops. (Pointed up means that the hook part is on the top. Pointed down means that the hook part is on the bottom.)

I suggest watching some videos, paying attention to how they hold the yarn. I think stitch diva's tutorial videos are excellent. 

http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet

I hope this helps! 

If it feels comfortable and works for you, go for it.  I knit continental combined (so wrap both ways and tension in left hand), but I can't imagine crocheting wrapping 'the other way' after so many decades.   It affects the appearance of your crochet stitches slightly if you're wrapping counterclockwise (I just tried it on a chain stitch--clockwise the left leg is lower, counterclockwise the right leg is lower...very subtle).  Since crochet stitches are more complex than plain knitting stitches (where 'twists' are more obvious), I don't think it would be an issue, especially if you're consistent. 

Archived