Livy

Question

I am about to start a temperature Afghan, I wanted to do it in single crochet linen stitch, but I like doing most of my projects with a chianless foundation row. If I were to do a Sc chainless foundation row, would it wreck row two of the linen stitch?

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

There's a way to incorporate ch1 into an fsc foundation, but it's messy. The instructions are in a craftsy class, Mastering Foundation Crochet Stitch. (Marty Miller is excellent! The class is worth the cost.)

My suggestion is to go ahead and do an fsc. Then on row 2, do your sc stitches between row 1's sc stitches, instead of in the tops. It'll look slightly different than row 3, but not enough to be noticeable when there's a lot of rows.

welcome from me too :)

I agree with Sharon, Marty Miller's class is excellent.  if you want to do fsc to start, then i would go ahead and just work into it like you would the chain.  

What version of linen stitch are you doing?  

Thank you both. I didn’t realise there was more than one kind of linen stitch so i’m Not sure, i was thinking just the sc, ch 1, then opposite for each row. It was the only stitch I could think of that would take up the least amount of space since I am doing 365 rows.

A lot of crochet stitches have several names for one stitch, and sometimes there is 1 name for several different stitches.  I've seen "your" stitch also called woven stitch and moss stitch.  I've not run into another (crochet) linen stitch, but I've no doubt there are others...

Archived