Help rearranging pattern for blanket

Violinpro21

Question

I was asked to make this pattern for a queen size bed. She sent me the first picture and I found the second picture for a pattern. I don't know how large the blanket is in the first picture and I have a little experience using these kind of patterns. Anyway, I think I heard somewhere that if I want to make it bigger I should just double or triple each square, so  each square represents 2-3 stitches instead of 1. Does this logic make sense? Would this help make this pattern bigger? Do you think I need to make it bigger? To me this pattern looks like it would maybe for a throw blanket, maybe a little too small for a queen. Thoughts? Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

received_10203672222162608.jpeg

received_10159022154150487.png

3 answers to this question

welcome from me too!  I think you are going to have to swatch a section of the design, with the different #s of sts per square of the chart, to see how big a square is at those gauges.  then figure out how big you want the finished item to be and you can see how the design fits those dimensions at the different gauges.  also your stitch height will make a lot of difference in how the design looks, whether it is just right, or squashed, or stretched.   

I notice the chart is not the exact same design as the afghan in the first photo.  

and i just have to say this...merely because someone asks a crocheter to make something, doesn't mean the crocheter has to do it.  this looks like a huge, very involved project to me.  so i hope if you make it, it's because you really want to.  

The photo looks like its spread over a double or queen bed already, so the size of the motif made up is really a perfect size as is.  You wouldn't want the motif to spread all across the whole bedspread (spilling over the sides of the bed), you'd want it to be centered left and right across just the top of the mattress, and placed below center vertically to make room for the pillow area. Make a swatch with the yarn you want to use (at least 5" square) and see how many stitches per inch you measure (including inch fractions).  I would enlarge the bedspread by adding to each side, and top and bottom in the plain color, positioning the motif where it needs to be as I described above.  Your motif is rougly 100x100, so you want to figure out how big the motif will be at your gauge per inch, and calculate (at your gauge) how many 'blank' stitches to add left and right and bottom, and more at the top (pillow area) to achieve queen bedspread size.

Here's a list of bedspread sizes https://www.homedecoratingcompany.com/bedding-by-size.html

So a queen bedspread is 102x120.    If the requestor would use it with a bedskirt, you can make it as a comforter size 92x96.  

Edit-for centering purposes, the top of the mattress is 60x80.

Archived