FPTr2tog 2nd leg

hakandragon

Question

Hey all! 

I'm working on a crochet pattern, and it was going (mostly) fine until I got to this part in the pattern:

[FPTr2tog around post of 1st dc 2 rows below and following 4th

dc for 2nd leg (skipping 3 sts 2 rows below and 1 st on working

row), dc in next 3 dc] twice, working first leg of FPTr2tog over

same st as 2nd leg of previous FPTr2tog, FPTr2tog working first

leg of FPTr2tog over same st as 2nd leg of previous FPTr2tog

and following 4th dc for 2nd leg (skipping 3 sts 2 rows below and

1 st on working row)

I understand the FPTr2tog thing to start with, and I can even wrap my head around the 2 rows below thing, but I don't understand the 2nd leg part, and then "working first leg of FPTr2tog over same st as 2nd leg..."

Could someone help me pull this apart a little clearer? I've never done this stitch before so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at/for.

Here is the link to the pattern, and I'm working on Row 8 (Lattice Foundation Row): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1190/0400/files/Mrs._Hughes_Afghan_2.pdf?9265798080935812423

Thanks so much!

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

The stitch is called "lattice", "trellis", "honeycomb", "diamond weave" or a combination of these words.  I found some youtube videos for it with sc rows in the background.  They may help, even though the stitches behind your pattern's tr cables are dc rows.  I'd link in one of the videos, but I'm not sure which one would be most helpful.  Google "diamond weave crochet tutorial" and click on the first one.  There will be more on the right.  Keep watching them until you get to one that makes sense for you.

When you're doing the tr cables (FPtr2tog) there are 2 legs going down to the 2 rows below.  Each half of the FPtr2tog is a leg.  These are the legs that the pattern is referring to.

I hope this helps!

Good lord, I speak English, I love to crochet, I have some experience with cables, and that collection of words gives me a migraine!

Uh, I mean---Hi, welcome to the ville!   :welcome

Now I'm gonna read Sharon's post that popped up while I was typing (Hiya Sharon :waving) and take a look at your link and see if I can actually add anything that might be helpful :blush

SaveSave

About all I can add is to take a look at the pattern entry on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mrs-hughes-afghan

There are tabs to see others' comments on the pattern, previous forum posts, and there are project photos.  Some photos may be *very* helpful as they are close up and clear---the photo in the pattern is not clear as the afghan is shown sideways to the direction its worked in, and is not laying flat.   At least one forum post indicates you are not the only person to be stymied by this,  and there and in comments it looks like there may be discrepancies in the rows, though any errors may have been corrected by now.  

I have done best with cables when I have some visual aids to literally show me what to do, so I personally would tend to look for a pattern with a phototutorial or stitch symbol diagram.  Hopefully the videos Sharon pointed out will help you.  

It is a little eyeball twisting, isn't it?  

To answer your specific question, you will be working this shape ^ in a row

^^^^^

Normally when you see a xx2tog, it's making a decrease over 2 adjacent stitches, in the same row.  In this case it's decorative over the front of the fabric.  The bottoms of the FPTR2Tog are made around stitches 2 rows down, and those 2 stitches are 3 stitches apart (in DC1 and DC5 of the row below.  (meaning, DC 2, DC3 and DC4 are between them)

The NEXT ^ will be made around DC5 of the row below, and DC9.  (skip DC6, DC7 and DC8).  So, the first leg of the second ^ is made around the same DC as the second leg of the first ^ (their toes are touching).

I hope that makes sense?  The wording of the pattern just looks a lot more complex than the actual action.  I can't think of a clearer way to put it unless you spelled out the DC stitch numbers for the first 2 ^ like I did above, and then said repeat in that pattern across.

Archived