The Perfect Pattern for a Patch

Hana Escovar

Question

I'm about to start a Hogwarts house scarf because my friend gave me a patch that I don't have a definite use for. I have medium weight (4) Acrylic yarn. This means I'll have to find an alternative to ironing on the patch options include Fabritac, sewing it straight on, and ironing it onto fabric and then sewing it on.

My question is what stitch would go best with one of these options? I was looking into Tunisian Crochet, which would be a fun experiment, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. This is more of an exploration project rather than something done for a gift or commission so there's no rush, but I'm still itching to start and responses are super appreciated.  :)

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I've had some failures with adding applique' to crochet.  I was adding letter's, instead of a patch, but it's the same principle.  I never did get the letters on, because the afghan's stitch had holes.  So, my first tip is to use a solid stitch.  Tunisian Simple Stitch (TSS) is just one option.  Solid SC is another option.  I googled "crochet solid fabric" and saw several other options.

The other tips I have is for the patch itself.  Before you add any kind of fabric applique', sew a yarn edge.  You can sew an embroidery chain or blanket stitch around the edge.  Once you have yarn around the edge, sew it to the scarf with a whip stitch.

"Iron-on" is never a good idea on crochet fabric.  It doesn't even work well on a lot of woven fabrics (I do a lot of garment sewing and have learned the hard way with iron-on interfacing and other things). For one thing, the iron has to be very hot to work, so it would only work on cotton or wool properly anyway - you would melt polyester fabric or acrylic yarn using a yarn hot enough for the iron-on stuff to melt too, (it has to melt to 'stick').  It also needs a relatively fine weave to stick well--even denim jean fabric almost borderline (so even trying to stick an iron-on patch to crochet doily cotton SC fabric wouldn't work well).  

Sewing on is really the best option.  I would personally use thread for this sort of thing, if you were sewing on a crocheted applique I'd say use matching yarn, but for something finely detailed like a Hogwarts patch I think thread would look better.  Most of the time using thread on crocheted things is frowned on (supposedly thread can 'cut' yarn), but I think that advice is more for seams, not for an applique that doesn't take wear and tear like seams.

I would expect that a sewn attachment would also be more permanent (but, you could change your mind later and rip it out with no ill effect).  I've had iron-on stuff come undone eventually after many washings.  I've never used glue on woven or fabric, but I'd be suspicious of it's durability as well.

I put a patch on a toddlers sweater and it worked out great. I used one of the yarns used in the sweater pattern.

First I sewed onto the patch itself a blanket stitch. then, crocheted 1 round of single crochet. Next, I crocheted it on to the sweater with whip stitches.

It was worn and washed many times and still looks great. That was 28 years ago. I hope to see it soon on my little grt-GS next time he visits.

Archived