Fairy Tale Poncho - Too Tight?

plbejbi0lka

Question

Hey there... So I'm working on my first official project that requires reading a pattern. I've only been crocheting for a few months now...

Anywho, I wanted a poncho so I picked the fairy tale poncho pattern (which is here: http://www.mooglyblog.com/fairy-tale-poncho/). It requires making 4 rectangles which you then put together. Well, I'm working on my first rectangle A and I can't help but feel like my rectangle is far too small for a poncho (for a human anyway lol). My work looks a LOT tighter than the online pictures, even though I'm following along with the exact same yarn weight and crochet hook size.

Here is mine so far: 10n4vvc.jpg (also attached to this thread if you can't see if here).

I must admit, I do like to pull tight on the yarn after I yarn over... >.<

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips! Should I just pull it all out and start over and go a lot looser...? Thank you!

post-79187-0-12234100-1488313597_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Everyone crochets with a different tension.  Even if it is the same yarn and hook that someone else used, yours can be very different.  That is why doing a gauge is so important, especially for anything that is wearable.  There is a gauge given for the pattern.  "Gauge (laid flat – will hang larger): 7 rows x 10 sts = 4″ in pattern."  Take a ruler and measure 7 rows in the middle of what you've made.  It should be 4".  Also, measure 10 stitches across in the middle.  It should be 4".  If it is smaller than 4", go up a hook size or two.  Make a swatch that is at least 14 stitches across and 11 rows high.  Repeat the measuring in the middle.  Gauges are time consuming, but are so worth it when what you make fits.

The other thing is the yanking on the yarn.  It will tighten stitches.  Doris Chan wrote a wonderful article on the subject ...

https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Other things can effect tension, too.  Look at how tightly you're holding the yarn that is fed to your hook.  It should be taught enough for your hook to grab, but not so tight that it doesn't flow smoothly.  Try crocheting while you're relaxed.  Mood makes a difference.  Make sure that you're comfortable, too.

Another thing to check is that you're making your loops on your hook past the throat and on the shaft.  The throat is the skinny part underneath the hook.  The shaft is the area between the throat and the thumb rest.  The shaft is the size of the hook, so it should be the size of your loops.

When you insert your hook and draw up a loop, it's call the golden loop.  The golden loop determines how loose or tight your stitches will be.  I like to pull up the golden loop tall enough that the hook can rest easily on top of the project.  Then complete the stitch.

:waving @ Mona!  I didn't see you sneak in your post while I was typing.  :)

Archived