Crochet is Stiff? /sweater Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi.I was wondering if this is true for you or not. :think Does crocheting something make it stiff ? and That Crochet is not good at making sweaters  and that knitting sweaters are better?. :eek Let me know what you think.

5 answers to this question

It depends.

If you make 2 swatches with (example) Red Heart Super Saver (worsted/aran weight)  and and the same size hook and needles, using SC for one and garter stitch for the other, they will be about the same size and stiffness.

If you do the above comparing SC and stockinette, the crochet will be stiffer.  If you use DC instead, the drape is closer to stockinette.

BUT...You can get the same drape as a knitted object with crochet using lighter weight yarn and taller or lacier crochet stitches.  

The reason is, knit stitches are all 'unfinished' and connected to each other in both directions, until you 'finish' the fabric by binding off the last edge.  This is why you can get a 'run' in knitting; if one stitch breaks, all the stitches in the same column are compromised.  In crochet, if you cut 1 stitch out of the middle, it is more stable - it takes more effort to unravel from that stitch to others around it.  

Each crochet stitch is the equivalent of a bound-off knit stitch, which has an extra step involving more yarn to stabilize each stitch.  If you pull the needles out of an unfinished knit piece it may unravel width and length-wise that may be much more trouble to put back together onto the needles than if you accidentally pull on your crochet - each crochet stitch is 'bound off', so when you unravel it it only comes apart in 1 direction and you can pick it back up and proceed without nearly as much trouble.

Granny Square I love your post!

Catwoman, did you crochet a sweater that you think is stiff? If so, let's talk about the specific pattern and yarn used. Maybe a few tweaks could have resulted in a softer sweater. Or are you planning a sweater? Same thing applies. Like Granny Square said, lighter yarn makes for drapier fabric. Also the specific fiber makes a lot of difference.

Or are you asking the question because of others' opinions? Some people have not educated themselves about the possibilities of crocheted fabric so they only think of it in one way.

Sometimes people say that crochet is too stiff or dense, or conversely too holey, for clothing. My opinion is that crochet can have each of those qualities, but it can also be flexible, light, and not holey. I've made several crochet sweaters for myself and they aren't stiff. It's all about the yarn, and nice loose gauge in aa appropriate stitch pattern. Doris Chan"s patterns are great examples.

I love GS and Kathy's answers, too.  I'm going to through my 2 cents in. 

I'm a crocheter.  I took a knitting lesson, because I thought that crocheting was for afghans and knitting for clothing and weaving for tapestry and tatting for lace.  I was wrong!  What you make with yarn (or thread) depends more on the yarn and pattern than it does the method.  Each method has different looks, but all can be used to make anything with yarn.  The drape and fluidity depends more on tension and the yarn's thickness and fiber.  For example, I crocheted a baby afghan out of acrylic, dk yarn using Tunisian simple stitch.  It came out as thin and fluid as anything knitted.  As a crocheter, I happen to think that crocheting, especially when you add in Tunisian, is more versatile than knitting, but I am biased.

Archived