crochet side-to-side cardigan patterns?

jane dough

Question

hi, all...

am hoping for some help finding a pattern for a cardigan crocheted from side-to-side instead of top-down or bottom-up. 

i was gifted some beautiful yarn that has a muted striping pattern when worked up, but having gained a little weight in my dotage, i'm hesitant to make a pattern with horizontal stripes.  i know there are patterns out there that work from side-to-side (which would create vertical stripes) but i can't seem to find any now...

i found one that looked good but discovered it was a pullover instead of cardigan.

i'm itching to get started on a new project after making a HUGE blanket for my daughter and SIL for xmas that took me 6 months worth of evenings, so now i feel restless without a project to start! 

so much so, in fact, that i took a sweater i knit a couple of years ago and don't wear much and started ripping it out last night to reuse the yarn!  it's a beautiful, tweedy silk and wool blend and i hate to see it sit as a sweater that i find i don't wear much...

anyway, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

~jane

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome! I did a quick Ravelry pattern search for crocheted cardigans in "sideways" construction and surprisingly, to me, found quite a few http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&pa=sideways&pc=cardigan&sort=projects

That is a database of patterns, and while some are free and some you can buy there, some will be in magazine back issues, older books, etc. many are available to purchase online as single patterns too.

wow, thanks, kathy!

i had seen ravelry in my google searches, but was put off by having to join yet another site before i knew there was something useful there, but with your report on what you found, figured it would be a good idea... and it was!  and now that i know how to use the search feature, i'll probably use that site a lot.

the only thing i wasn't able to figure out is how to get to patterns in old periodicals, but i didn't really spend much time trying (didn't want to get *too* sidetracked... :lol ) so that's another project for another day...

anyway, i found one pattern that will definitely work, with a slight modification (i want it longer than the pic shows) but that's an easy fix!

thanks so much for your help!

~jane

You're welcome !

For old periodicals, you might find them at a thrift shop or on eBay. Sometimes members here post a thread where they are selling or giving away old patterns or books. And there are some discussion groups on Ravelry for such "destash" posts.

Magazine patterns from the recent past are often available as individual downloads on the companies websites, which might or might not be listed on the ravelry pattern listing, and many magazines now sell digital copies of back issues so you could get the whole issue.

I guess some public libraries might have older magazine copies, and they can be a good source for older books.

Ravelry's pattern database is a reference, really, and not (just) a marketplace.  One of the features is that members can post their projects there and note the source, and other things (for themselves, as well as others - any member can look at another's project photos and notes).

Anyone can create a pattern listing (if one isn't already in the database) using their own project photo, even though the source may have been obscure and long out of print; there are also editors that go around 'snooping' people's projects and asking for permission to create a pattern listing - example, I made a doily from a vintage Coats and Clark booklet (there was no listing for it in the Rav database).  Someone came along and asked if they could create a pattern listing for it, using my project photo.

Some designers who used to offer patterns on line for free or for purchase may no longer be in business, and websites may have been taken down; but the pattern is still listed in Ravelry, so people who own the pattern can reference it in their projects.  Also, a year or 2 ago there were some tax law changes for European pattern sellers that caused many of them to stop or curtail their online sales.

wow, ladies!  thank you SO much for all the great info...

i was not aware of this whole world of crochet communities online!  to be honest, my head's kinda spinning with all of it right now!  but that's not a bad thing...  i just need to start digging even more into ravelry and other sites as well.  a new door has opened to me... and has also inspired me to do some digging into sites for some of my other hobbies (knitting... watercolors... colored pencils... )

i so appreciate your help and hope that someday, i can return the favor for you or someone else...

:ghug

:ty

~jane

Archived