Vintage baby cap pattern

ziehmsa

Question

Hey everyone! I was hoping you could help me. I found this pattern in my grandmas things and I've made the sweater and I was trying to work on the "cap" but I'm not sure what gore means, something about corners meeting? Also how to do row 3 (*1 sc in each of 1st 2 sts, 1 dc in 2nd st of previous row repeat from * around row) and row 4 (*1 sc in each of the 1st 3 sts, 1 dc around the post of the dc of previous row, inserting hook sideways repeat from * around row. Continue increasing 1 st in each gore for 16 rows. Omit 1 gore for back of neck work back-and-forth in shell pattern for remaining 5 gores for 3 1/2 inches) was confusing. My grandma just passed away and she was my go to person to ask so I was hoping someone could help. Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

First, you'll need to remove the pattern or Amy will remove it.  Posting a pattern is a copyright violation.  To get the best help, post a link to a pattern or the name and book or anything else that leads us to what you're making.  Then type the confusing row/round and let us know what is confusing.  You can also type in a couple of rows/rounds before and after the confusing one.  The idea is to give us enough information to help without giving away the whole pattern.

With that being said, I didn't know what "gore" meant.  It was discussed in here a few years ago ...

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/111373-anyone-know-what-a-gore-is/

I hope that helps!

Gore is really more of a fabric sewing term, it's a way to shape something; sort of like an open ended triangular shaped gusset.  Have you ever heard of a gored skirt for example, -- here is one that shows up really well because of the plaid, there are triangular pieces added to make the skirt fuller.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/261792186/vintage-1970s-plaid-taffeta-skirt?ref=market

The pattern is  just giving you a heads up that you'll be making a triangular shaped increase in the pattern (like a gore), and then gives you the details of how to do that.  Similar to, if you were making a toy, a pattern might say "and now to make the left ear, blah blah".  It's a way to orient you in the pattern.

It's sort of the opposite of a dart, if you are familiar with that sewing term - a sewn tuck, usually at the bust (so there's more fabric 'out front' than at the side seam), or at the waist of slacks or a skirt to smoothly narrow the fabric from hip to waist.

Archived