Crocheted scarf keeps twisting HELP!

Connor Fadden

Question

So this is my first time attempting crochet. I used this design/method 

I have done 140 knots for the length, then went back along and did all double half crochets, this is fine at this point the scarf is loose and fluffy and all good. The problem starts when I start doing half double crochets into the bottom loop. As you can see on the images, it starts to twist round like a DNA strand. The side I started on is all super tight and taut and the side I'm doing now is loose and fluffy. This makes the taut side pull down I guess and it twists. In the video it looks fine so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Please and thank you to anyone/everyone who helps with this! I need to get it sorted asap as it's for an Xmas gift >< ( P.S. The thread/hook are the same as the lady uses in the video) ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO ASK/MESSAGE ME, I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS SORTED OUT =(

post-78929-0-48650300-1482187106_thumb.jpg

post-78929-0-81458300-1482187108_thumb.jpg

post-78929-0-15579800-1482187111_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I agree with ratdog that it's most likely your initial chain is too tight.  It's called the foundation chain.  It has to be really loose, because you're pulling on it when you do your first row.  If it's too tight, there's no give for the pulling.  This can cause curling and a bowed edge.

Here's a couple of ways to keep it loose...

1. Use a larger hook to make the foundation chain.
  2. As you make each chain, pinch it, before making the next chain.  Pinching it keeps it from pulling tighter.  (In the video, she is pinching each chain to keep it loose.)

The other cause may be that you twisted the chain.  There are 3 strands of yarn for each chain.  The 2 strands that make a < are called the front and back loops.  The front is closest to you.  The strand by itself is called the back bump.  There are multiple ways to crochet into a chain.  I like crocheting into the back bump.  Whichever strand you use, you have to make sure it's the same strand for every stitch.  If you insert your hook into a different strand, it will twist.  You have to make sure that you don't twist the foundation chain.

Good luck!

(Also, I love your moniker!  When I was in high school, a lifetime ago, my boyfriend's band was the "Wombats.")

I agree with all the above culprits for your problem.  The only other thing I can think of -- it's ruffling so much, is there a possibility that you are putting more than 1 stitch into 1 chain?  The way to create a ruffle (on purpose) is to put 2 or more stitches into 1 stitch.

Archived