sc foundation trouble

Ashley Tipton

Question

Hello,

I have recently started crocheting again after many years. I foolishly took on a big project in the form of a dragon tail blanket for my son for Christmas. The pattern says to make a sc foundation but does not give a specific measurement for said foundation. My son is approximately 4 1/2 feet tall and I would like for him to be able to use the blanket for a couple years. How long should the foundation be? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

A struggling mom

9 answers to this question

I'm amazed it doesn't give measurements!   Does it give a gauge swatch, like x stitches and y rows =4 inches?  Surely it tells you the amount of stitches you need to make for the foundation, that with a little math with the gauge should tell you how big it is planned to be, so you can make adjustments to make it bigger or smaller.

Is this similar to the mermaid tail blankets?  Sort of a cone shape?  Is the foundation the opening of the cone, or the length?  Here is a link to all sorts of size charts, there are some sweater/body measurements by age (almost at the bottom of the page), I would add several inches to that, enough room for him to get in and out of it easily (it's not supposed to be skin tight, you want it easy to pull up I assume).

edit, oops, messed up link,  trying again

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

Thank you for the link. Come to find out this was a step that was for the latter end of the pattern, but for some strange reason it was placed before the actual pattern itself. It threw me for a loop. I have next to no experience reading patterns. My grandmother taught me how to crochet and she never used a pattern, so I didnt know how to read them until I recently attempted to teach myself. I actually completed the tail of the blanket last night so I  have hope now lol.

Often patterns have a section explaining the stitches used, which might be labeled "special stitches" or similar, and often this section is before the start of the actual pattern. It can be confusing if there aren't labels or headers for the different parts of the pattern.

Some patterns just are not well written. Usually patterns in books/magazines at least follow a standard format, and have been checked by a team. Ones posted or sold by individuals may be excellent and easy to use, or may not have even been proofread by anyone, much less user-tested or edited.

Maybe we can offer some ideas for using the pattern, if you want to tell us the title and location of it.

Whew, I'm glad you you seem to have gotten it sorted.  

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, I tend to trust patterns from books/mags/yarn companies a tad more than those I find on blogs; although the former can have typos and errors, the often get 'fixed' or offer errata.  Some blog writers' patterns are excellent, and I trust some of these designers more than others.  There is a standard 'grammar' for pattern crochet pattern writing, and designers that don't follow it can create confusion.

Here's a site that might help for pattern reading.  There's lots of good stuff here--lots of topics there including tips on reading crochet patterns, also info about yarn weights and another size chart.  

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards.html

Archived