How much is too much crocheting?

Like any activity that's repetitive, one should take frequent breaks (I'm on one now...) I try not to do more than an hour or two at a time...an hour's better, but I've been known to go 2 hours...anything more than that and my body rebels...this could be sitting at the computer, or on the sewing machine or crocheting, knitting or rubberstamping...I had one minor flare up with carpal tunnel symdrome once and I'll do whatever it takes to be good to myself so I can continue to do these activities until I die with hopefully, a crochet hook in my hand...

A good rule of thumb is if it hurts it is time for a break. With the right project, meaning a good size hook and yarn, I can crochet for four hours without a break. (I am not a teen. Grin.) Sometimes I don't feel well, and being quiet with a hook and yarn keeps me from going nuts!!

Stitchinpick

Be nice to your wrists! :) If it hurts, definitely take a break, stretch things out, etc. I was only 21 the first time I had problems with my wrists, so it's not necessarily age-related.

Lately I'm having to be careful while I finish healing from a carpal tunnel flareup, so I'm especially conscious of how much time I spend crocheting. But really I think it's more a matter whether you're giving your hands/wrists a break when they need it, rather than how long you spend crocheting...

Be nice to your wrists! :) If it hurts, definitely take a break, stretch things out, etc. I was only 21 the first time I had problems with my wrists, so it's not necessarily age-related.

Lately I'm having to be careful while I finish healing from a carpal tunnel flareup, so I'm especially conscious of how much time I spend crocheting. But really I think it's more a matter whether you're giving your hands/wrists a break when they need it, rather than how long you spend crocheting...

This is a good point...if one has problems after 15 minutes, by all means stop and give your wrists and hands a break...I just know for me that an hour to two hours is preventive...my thought on this is why wait until you have pain before you stop what you're doing???? Sure I could probably crochet two hours and not feel any pain at all, but why wait until 3.5 hours when all the sudden the neck and the back hurt, not to mention the wrists...it's like taking care of a car...sure you can run the car down to empty, but you run less of a risk of running out of gas if you make sure not to let the tank get under 1/4 of a tank...

I have had problems with my wrists since I was about 14 (am now 21, soon to be 22) so age is definately no factor here. But we all knew that already. ;)

I can usually crochet for 2 hours or so depending on what yarn/hook I am using before I need a break. And I can only crochet a couple days a week - no matter how often I take breaks. My breaks usually last an hour before I pick up the hook again.

i have been crocheting longer than you have been born without any problems other than having numb hands due to a whiplash, i could not crochet then, but thankfully it went away enough that i can crochet. if you have any tenderness after you have crocheted for a while, take a little break, sit and read, or get up and stretch move around. i am 49 and have no carpel tunnel although i was told i would have it because i crochet so much. but thats because i take the breaks and even being 17 won't help ya honey, give your wrists and hands a break:hug :hug

I think it's also a matter of working up to it - like jogging or lifting weights. :) If I've gone a while without crocheting, my hand aches terribly after 20 min. or so. But now I can go for a couple of hours. Hook size matters too - last time I tried thread crochet I had to give up on it because it hurt too much. Maybe we should be taught to start on big hooks and work our way down!

I'm like yarncat. I can go for quite a few hours. I crocheted through the entire World Series game last night. I do have "noisy" joints though, and know that when I start to hear or feel clicking, it's time to give it a break, and pronto.

When you feel the cramping, you're feeling the body's message to put down the hooks for a while. It could be an early sign of Tendonitis or several other types of similar problems. I know because I OVER DID IT :worried big time and kept working thru the cramps to pain to numbness. I had to quit for over 3 months and have several injections for a major case of Tendonitis. I still have to be careful and put down the hooks at the first sign of discomfort.:scared

Not fun at all!:sigh

@-->--Mariyel--<--@

I love to watch movies while I crochet or knit. I can do this for an entire weekend and in fact, I look forward to it. My hands cramp, and I relax and do hand exercises. Then I pick it up again. Do I have carpal tunnel? Probabyl. I don't even care! I think this is a sign of an intervention waiting to happen

"We need talk to you about your hobby. It is affecting the lives of everyone around you. PUT THE YARN DOWN! Professionals are on their way!"

:eek

Archived