Fractal Doily

kathome

Question

I've finally begun the fractal doily

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fractal-2

and the center circle curls because there is no increase on rows 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 10.  

My quandary is that if I increase on these rows I will throw off the final size of the circle and it won't work out when I begin the "vanes".  

Has anyone else experienced this problem?????

3 answers to this question

I've not made this particular doily, but when you say it curls - do you mean it has a frilly, ruffled edge, or is it starting to form a cup or bowl shape?

I'm going to guess it's cupping, which means it's diameter is too big for it's circumference.  This could either mean too few stitches as you are suspecting, but it could also mean your stitches are too tall (taller than the designer's).  Problem is, you can't block out cupping, but you can often block out ruffling.

Everybody's stitch heights are different, I happen to make comparatively short stitches so usually have the opposite problem.  

I've made a similar pattern, and I know this pattern is super simple - each row after the beginning circle is x DC with y chains between.  I would rip back to where the problem starts and try to make looser chains to get the beginning circle to lie flat, which keeps the stitch count the same but increases the circumference a little; if that doesn't work, throw in an extra chain between the taller stitches, maybe on one of the earlier non-increase round--just doing it on 1 round, and keeping that extra stitch for the circle, might be enough to fix the problem.  Beyond that you are working in rows, so there won't be a problem.

What are the taller stitches--are they taller than DC?  I'm looking at some projects on Rav and the stitches look quite tall.  Another way to fix cupping is to use a shorter stitch, so if those are trebles, try DC.  

I think that there are instructions for increasing the center spiral.  It's after the NB.   Something along the lines of increase uniformly and randomly.  There are comments on the page.  Comment 51 and the response 52 led me to this conclusion.  (I don't have the pattern.)

Thanks for the responses.  My problem is indeed "cupping".  The part of the instructions about increasing randomly refer to the "vane" sections of the pattern and not the center circle where I'm having the problem.  

This problem seems to be obvious if the rounds are worked evenly but I can't find anyone experiencing the same issue!!!  I've searched on line!!!  Oh well, I guess I'll have to wing it. 

Archived