Knitting?

lhendrix35

One of the pbs stations has a program called "Create."     Between shows, they show quickies of what they have.  One such is knitting??  It is shown very fast, so I don't know what is being done.  The person is using double pointed needles, but the needle is put down through the middle, not through the stitch, and that is as far as it goes.  Only the needles and yarn are shown.  Is this a form of knitting? or just something to show needles and yarn?

I have been knitting for a long time, but I have never hear of this.  It can be done in the front, making a long stitch like you do in crochet.  Curious to see what answer you get.

I don't think I've seen that one.  Or at least it didn't register with me.  I've seen one where the person is kniting and it looks like the needles are rolling over each other...not the way my knitting style looks at all.  I'll have to look more closely next time I have Create on, to see if I can spot this one.  

I don't think I've seen that one.  Or at least it didn't register with me.  I've seen one where the person is kniting and it looks like the needles are rolling over each other...not the way my knitting style looks at all.  I'll have to look more closely next time I have Create on, to see if I can spot this one.  

Thanks, it's very fast, just to show what kind of programs they have.  It may be just a pause in the step.

Could it be Continental or combined style? If you knit "English" it would look really odd. When I knit stockinette in the round, that rolling motion you describe is pretty close to what myhands do.

I knit continental combined myself.   :knit  

the little vignette on Create goes by so fast i really don't know which hand her working yarn is in.  I haven't done stockinette in the round for a while... from my vantage point I don't think my needle motion looks like that, but I don't know what it would look like to an onlooker.  I'm also pretty slow, maybe this just looks different to me because it is much faster.  

The person is using double pointed needles, but the needle is put down through the middle, not through the stitch, and that is as far as it goes.

When you say the needle is put through the middle, do you mean like poking it into the completed knit fabric?    I'm still trying to visualize it….

When you say the needle is put through the middle, do you mean like poking it into the completed knit fabric?    I'm still trying to visualize it….

It really doesn't show any action, it is so fast.  Just showing what kind of shows are available.  It may be a still just to show knitting.

Could it be Continental or combined style? If you knit "English" it would look really odd. When I knit stockinette in the round, that rolling motion you describe is pretty close to what myhands do.

I wondered about that.   I looked in the search for knitting and what I found was the usual style.Since no one is familiar with this, I think it is just something to show knitting and the needles. 

The idea I am getting from the picture is that the stitch is brought up from the center, but there it stops.  The needle goes down, and that's it.  Maybe it is just a picture to show the craft .

No, it looks as if the needle is going to pull up a strand from the center.  It doesn't show hands..

Have you looked on the TV show Crete TV.  I googled it and came up with the knit & crochet now show.  You can find a lot of their stuff on youtube.

I have looked at the show some, and the knitting looks like regular technique.  I am beginning to think it is just something to show  what is used and what you get.

• 4 weeks later...

You are correct, it is continental style.  Yesterdays program showed the knitter making a white teddy bear.  She had the cast on stitches and k across the row passing the thread over.  When she came back in p st, she came up from the center.  The hostess commented that she was using the continental method, which is much faster,  and that she could not do it.  The knitter said that she had spent a whole day learning it and it was very tiring.  Since the knitter showed this technique only in the p st, I don't know whether it is also used for k st.

Archived