Needing help with this pattern please!

Toni Klingbiel Waller

Question

Ok so I've CH 27 then DC 26 then I'm ready to start the 2nd step. Do I CH 3 first? Should I have DC 26 stitches into the bottom of my starter chain after that? Then I should CH 2 and start DC in the first set of DC on the top that I did in step 1?

1. DC into 2nd ch from hook, and into each remaining ch

2. Turn work slightly, and work a dc into the 1st ch 2 from row 1. (Instead of working back

in the opposite direction, we are working around the edges, then working into the double

crochets on to the foundation row.) pick up 3 sts. as you work around edge, dc into each

st. in foundation row, ch2, turn

9 answers to this question

that's confusing!   what is the name and location of the pattern?  

if by "first chain 2" it means the 2nd ch that you made your first dc into, you are now 25 stitches away from that spot so if you dc into that you will be forming a ring.....as far as I can see.  

Is it me that's confusing? Sorry. It's a pattern I purchased off raverly but the author isn't replying to my questions so I'm lost! So then I've done it wrong by what you're telling me...

No,no,no!  It is not you that's confusing!  What I meant was that the pattern you quoted is confusing.  And I don't think it wants you to form a ring.  I think it wants you to work around the outside edge of the strip, but I don't see how you can do that by stitching into the "first ch2".    

So I apologize for being confusing!  ;)

What is the name of the pattern?  

here it is on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/serendipity-hood  I think that's the right one, isn't it?

sometimes there are helpful comments or project photos but in this case I don't see any.

well. My first instinct was that she meant to dc into the last dc you just made (rather thaninto the initial ch2) and really that's all I can see that you can do.  I would say if you can just do the dc there w/o a ch3 turning ch, to do it that way.   then I think, maybe "pick up 3 stitches" means to make a total of 3 stitches there.  pick up sts is more of a knitting term, we really usually don't "pick up " sts in crochet.

after that, it says "as you work around edge, dc into each

st. in foundation row, ch2, turn"

and i think like you said you should dc into the starting chain and it would be 26 sts.  then chain 2 and turn.  

I hope the designer gets back to you soon.  In my opinion, from what you've posted here, this is not the most clearly written pattern.  

I've seen this before.  I had to ask about it, too.  Granny Square got me through it.  So, I'm going to try to explain it.  If I don't explain it well enough, I know she'll jump in with the right words.  :)

What you're making is an oval foundation.  The first part is what you always do ... make a chain and stitch across the chain to the end.  You're now back at the beginning of the chain underneath the first row.  You're going to be working it as a round. 

Don't turn your work like you're starting a new row. 

Rotate it so that the end is at the top and your work is dangling down.  Now Crochet 3 DC into the end.  This will naturally rotate the end so that your work is upside down. 

Next you'll be working into the underside of the foundation chain.  Whatever yarn strands that you didn't use for the first 26 dc, use to do 26 more dc.

I'm not sure about the ch 2, turn at the end.  Normally you'd do 2 more dc in the last strands of the chain and sl st it to your first dc to complete an oval foundation.  I think it means to ch 2, turn and start round 2.

Here's a depiction of what's happening.  The o is the original chain and the | are dc stitches....

\ ||||||||||

- ooooooo

/ ||||||||||

Nice diagram!

To help you picture how this piece is worked, the diagram's chain is a vertical 'seam' at the back of the head.  In the diagram the head is sideways, the top of the head to the left and the neck to the right.  You will be stitching from the neck to the top of the head and back down to the other side of the neck, and back again, until you have a sort of tunnel that is closed at the back of the head, and open for the face and neck.

Admin Note: Just to let everyone know, I had to remove the photo that was taken from the pattern due to copyright issues.

As a reminder, to help our members steer clear of any copyright issues, our forum policies state you should only upload photos to which you own the copyright. We're just trying to keep everyone safe. Thanks for understanding, everyone!

Admin Note: Just to let everyone know, I had to remove the photo that was taken from the pattern due to copyright issues.

As a reminder, to help our members steer clear of any copyright issues, our forum policies state you should only upload photos to which you own the copyright. We're just trying to keep everyone safe. Thanks for understanding, everyone!

Amy, the picture is still showing, not removed

Archived