Can you add a stripe to the cast on side?

G-PEG60

Question

I'm crocheting my first project.  It's a throw with 4 large chevrons for my daughter.  She has decided she wanted the colors in a different order.  I'm wondering, rather than starting over, if I could start crocheting on the cast on side so the two colors she now wants together, would be together!  Would that work?

9 answers to this question

You must also be a knitter, we'd call that a foundation chain side.  That's OK, lots of us knit too ;)

Yes, you can start in the other direction from the chain side.  When you put your first row into the foundation chain, you only used 1 or 2 of the loops of the 3 loops in the chain (there are multiple ways to start the first row into a chain).  Just use the loop(s) of the foundation chain that you didn't use when starting the piece.

A warning, though, the stitches are going to look different going in the other direction.  If I were going to do this, I'd place the chain in the middle so it looks like you did this on purpose.  Also, since this is a chevron, make sure you check your stitch counts carefully, it's easy to accidentally misplace the peaks and valleys and then the pattern 'drifts'. 

You must also be a knitter, we'd call that a foundation chain side.  That's OK, lots of us knit too ;)

Yes, you can start in the other direction from the chain side.  When you put your first row into the foundation chain, you only used 1 or 2 of the loops of the 3 loops in the chain (there are multiple ways to start the first row into a chain).  Just use the loop(s) of the foundation chain that you didn't use when starting the piece.

A warning, though, the stitches are going to look different going in the other direction.  If I were going to do this, I'd place the chain in the middle so it looks like you did this on purpose.  Also, since this is a chevron, make sure you check your stitch counts carefully, it's easy to accidentally misplace the peaks and valleys and then the pattern 'drifts'.

Yes, I'm also a beginner knitter.  Haha.  I think I've been knitting about a year.  I wanted to make a chevron throw and I wasn't doing well with the knitting.  Somehow I couldn't keep the count right.  A friend crochets the chevron throws and only that, so I had her show me how.  It took me several tries to get it going.    I figured it would look different and it occurred to me to put the chain in the middle.  Would it matter which side I started on?   Thanks so much for your reply.  

You could crochet the extra chevron as a stand alone section then crochet it to the side of the foundation chain with the same stitch as used in the pattern. It might take some experimenting for what loop to crochet to, such as, both loops, back loop or front loop. Maybe try a swatch first to see how it looks.

How many rows have you made so far?  It may be less time-consuming to just rip out and start over.

If you start crocheting from the beginning chain, you will have to reverse the hills and valleys.  (if you make a separate piece and sew it to the beginning, you would need to strt at the other edge to have them line up)

my crude version of a diagram for this.   _______ is the beginning chain.   /\/\/\/\/\/\   are the peaks and valleys.

so what you have made is                                       /\/\/\/\/\/\/\

crocheting the other direction from beg ch has to be  /\/\/\/\/\/\/\

otherwise it will have a very obvious  line where the direction of the chevrons changes       /\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/

that change could be cool if you want it there but very different look than the usual chevron pattern

(i can't beleive how hard it was for me to make those little diagrams!! :thair )  

eta---and then the spacing was different than it looked when i tyoed it in or previewed it.  really hope it looks like i meant it to , on other screens!  

"Would it matter which side I started on?"

You may be lucky in that the chain side will also be a color change border, so might not be so obvious.

I think I'd try to minimize the change in right/wrong side of the stitches, in other words turn the piece so the chain is on top, and the back side of the first row is facing you.  This way you are preserving the front/back orientation of the stitches.  If you can't tell which is the front or back side, try a few stitches, turn it over, pick an arbitrary spot  to the right of where you left off, (gently let the working yarn sort of drape between the 2 sets of test stitches so you don't have to cut the yarn), and make a few more stitches.  (I hope this makes sense--you will be working toward the last stitch of the first set)  This way you can decide which transition looks better without having to rip out too much.

(PSST to Magic - it's easier to make the diagrams on the left margin; sometimes proportional spaced characters don't matter, but if they do Courier Font characters are monospaced.  Won't help with line spacing though.)

GrannySquare, I was thinking of you as I worked on that;  you always make such nice graphics with keyboard characters.  I had no idea how hard it was going to be to keep things lined up.  I will have to remember your tips!  Thank you so much :-)  

Thanks for all the help.  I haven't decided what to do.  I've made almost half of the blanket so I don't want to start over and the more I look at it the more I think she's right about the order of the colors.  Honestly, I don't really like it at all.  I'd like to toss it and make something I like!  Ha ha.  But she picked the pattern and the colors so I'm going to finish.  There are four chevrons, each a different color so the add on would be a total different color

Would I start where the tail is on the original chain or on the other end?  I don't think I'll try to make it and then sew or stitch it together.  That intimidates me a lot!

Ack, using a new (to me) browser and I killed my post.  Trying again:

I think you want to start at the tail end.  The row right below the chain was made starting at the OTHER end of the chain, so if you start at the tail end, the backs of those stitches should be facing you...so this would preserve the front/back order of the stitches.

Ack, using a new (to me) browser and I killed my post.  Trying again:

I think you want to start at the tail end.  The row right below the chain was made starting at the OTHER end of the chain, so if you start at the tail end, the backs of those stitches should be facing you...so this would preserve the front/back order of the stitches.

Thanks.  That makes sense.

Archived