General Question on a Pattern

SammieLily2

Question

It looks like most of my questions/posts are about this darn sweater pattern I bought, haha. Anyway, I decided to try out the pattern as written, just to see how it would look in person, but part of it is confusing me.

It says to chain x number of stitches using an H or 5mm hook, but then switch to a K or 6.5mm hook for the rest of the panel. This causes the crochet to curve... not horizontally, but vertically. Why would you want to do this?

Here is a link to the Etsy page, in case anyone else has purchased this pattern or wants to take a peek at the

6 answers to this question

the etsy page says "size 5.5, and 6.5mm crochet hooks. 

(5.5 is used for the foundation chain so the sweater won't stretch out on the bottom.)"

so that 5.5 would be an I if you want to go by the letters....and if that is actually what the pattern says.   A 6.5 hook  is pretty big to use w/ worsted wt..  the sweater in the photo doesn't look to me like it was crocheted that loosely.  

does the pattern give you a stitch and row gauge?   

Weird... the Youtube video and the pattern both say a 5mm hook. I'm not allowed to even post a portion of the pattern as an image, am I? I know the rule is that I can't post an image of the entire pattern or the PDF of the pattern itself.

The pattern even says in larger, bolded and underlined words, "size 5mm hook (US H8)" during that section, which is just the foundation chain.

The only gauge type thing that it says is that, when working one of the panels, after a few rows to check the sizing to make sure it's correct for the size of sweater you're making. So no, it doesn't give a traditional gauge.

**NOTE: to avoid disappointment with sizing, after working several rows, measure the

width of your work to ensure that it is ½ the length of the total chest measurement needed.

For example, if making size 44 inch chest, the work should be 22 inches, plus 3 inches of

ease, which results in 25 inches. Therefore for 44 inch chest, your work should measure 25

inches.

I was working with the pattern for the other sweater and trying to go by this gauge, but that led me to 2.5 inches longer than I need... and I'm only using an H hook for that sweater. Maybe this whole pattern is weird, I'm not sure. I just thought it was weird to use a smaller hook for the foundation than the rest of the sweater.

I think this pattern is questionable on other fronts aside from the hook sizing.  In the example measurement you typed, if you're making a garment for a person whose actual chest measurement is 44", and you want 3" of ease around the body (which is reasonable, comfy loose), and the sweater is made in separate front and back pieces, the front and back width should be 22" plus HALF of 3", so the back width should be 23.5, not 25".  She is giving you 6" of ease which is quite sloppy.  You probably will need to make adjustments to this pattern, or pick a smaller size than you normally would.  

Even if she didn't tell you to make a gauge swatch, you can 'back into' the gauge if you look at the pattern for a particular size, and find the number of stitches across the chest.  Example, on that 25" example, let's say the pattern covers that distance in 100 stitches, so each stitch is  0.25" wide (25 divided by 100).  Totally made up numbers, just to demonstrate that you need to figure out YOUR gauge for 1 stitch and multiply that by the number of stitches of likely sizes to see how big of a sweater you will get (remember this is half the body measurement).  I have found that sometimes to fit me, I'll end up following a size x pattern instruction to achieve the measurements for size y if my gauge is different from the designer's.

I would personally ignore the instruction to use a smaller hook for the chain; most people make their chains a bit tight anyway--and the worst thing you can do is make the edge too tight, you need it to stretch over your shoulders to put it on.

this is one of the main reasons I refuse to buy patterns. There are too many free ones out there.

I too love free patterns and I've used many of them.  

I also have bought single patterns directly from the designer and so far I haven't really had a problem with those.  I have to say though that Etsy would not be where I would look for a pattern to purchase because some sellers seem to have no online presence other than etsy and no good way to contact them if there is a problem.  

This seller, Hectanooga/Emi H, also lists her patterns on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/486-pullover-unisex-crochet-sweater  is the page for this particular pattern.  One can look at others' projects/notes, and general comments there, and could send her a message via Ravelry.  She also has a blog so there are several ways to try contacting her if a pattern presents a problem that the buyer just can't figure out or readily get help with here or another forum.  

So once we do our research about a single pattern we are thinking of buying, I think buying a pattern directly from the designer can be a good value.  (Of course I like to get patterns in books and magazines too but that's a different topic......)

Well, again and my apologies to the OP, and I DO hope she got her issue sorted out- to me, buying a crochet pattern is akin to buying a recipe: doesn't make sense. I personally do not feel they are worth even selling! yes people "work hard" to make up a pattern. I work hard, coming up with good dinners (and I am a very good cook) whether or not I should be paid for them, owed money for them as it were, because I figured out to add x amount of nutmeg to fettucini, or 17 rows of half double crochet, is all the same to me. That is my opinion! You, and everybody else on the planet is free to disagree with me, and I do understand why they would. That, is the other reason I think it just funny how someone can sell one pattern- one! not a leaflet or pamphlet mind you, but one single pattern for some up to 7.99 plus baffles me. That's all, rant over and I'm not angry or look down upon pattern sellers and designers, I know most? went to school, and so on, and feel they're owed it. Sure sure, I just don't thats all! No hard feelings.

edit- like, look at this girl,Sammielily2, she can't even post a bit of the pattern for fear she'll what, get sued?? Get banned? ridiculous. Poor thing has to beat around bushes, hint at things, make secret code signals to get help for this pattern, that she PAID for! (she probably got helped by the designer by now I assume? sure hope so) anyway, that's it.

Then there's the woman who literally used the same exact images from Archive.org (NOT the designer in question here SammieLily2 has issue with pattern!), for "HER" patterns, that she threatens anyone with legal mumbo jumbo if they DARE re-sell, or do whatever with "her" patterns, on every image (that she got for free) she plasters her "company name" her name, or something other- across the image like a watermark. These people, some act as if you are stealing the formula for the polio vaccine. The vaccine that Salk declined putting a patent on, so that everyone could have free access to it. A scientist. Not a "ch 3, dc next 2 sts" guy.

EDIT and this is kind of toward MagicCrochetFan

I dont' think designers shouldn't be paid. I disagree with the whole "digital single pattern" per fee thing. I disagree with an online, digital pattern being something of value, actually. Ive seen the most simple patterns such as the ubiquitous Spider Web Doily which you can get for free anywhere, for sale for 8$ on a crochet spot type website.

I will gladly pay 9.99 for a crochet magazine that has patterns in it. In fact I just did. I will buy pamphlets, books, leaflets, whatever- but pay 7.99 for a digital something no way. Seems not right to me

and I was being sarcastic about the OP afraid to post part of the pattern, I think everybody got my point, wasn't trying to cause a big rift. I was ranting, and kind of angry about the fact she couldn't post part of her pattern she had an issue with, and nobody could look at the pattern in question without having purchased it themselves. THAT is the issue.

Archived