Tin Man pattern help!

Abbangel

Question

I'm a complete beginner and have started a wizard of oz tin man Amigurumi. I made the two arms and the head. I'm supposed to start the body and legs now but I don't understand the directions now:

Rnd 1: ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hook, 7sc, 3sc in next st, 7sc, 2sc in next st (20)

Individually I understand each part. However if I'm chaining 10 I run out of room for all the other stitches? And it says round, but it doesn't say to start with an adjustable ring like the other parts of the pattern? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 answers to this question

Hello and welcome to the 'ville!  

Did the pattern say what part of the body you are at, or what it's supposed to look like at this point?

The only thing that makes sense to me with the line that you typed is that you will be working in the round, creating an oval that starts by working around both sides of the chain.  So, you chain 10, make a SC into the second chain from the hook--you have 8 chains in front of you.  Make 1 SC into each of the the next 7 chains, then in the last chain, make 3 SC - this will 'turn the corner'.  Then, on the underside of the chain, using the loop or loops of the chain that you didn't use before, make 1 SC into each of the next 7 'under chains', then 2 SC into the next 'under chain'.  I'm guessing that you will join to the first stitch and continue working around the chain - the chain is the 'spine' of the oval.

What has me scratching my head is, what part of the Tin Man can the oval be!  I hope someone else chimes in if they have other thoughts on this.

The way it looks I am starting at the "neck and shoulders" of the tin man because as the pattern continues at the end of the body/torso I will crochet each leg one at a time. What you explained makes sense. As I was going along the 3sc into one stitch made a bit of a curve so I am going to try your suggestion as I think it will work that way.

Yea!  I saw this post earlier, but I was on my phone and don't like typing from it.  I was going to say that Granny Square had it right.  We just had a discussion the other day about how amigurumi patterns tend to use more shorthand and fewer descriptions than other patterns.  They assume you've done it before.  Where you were confused is a prime example of this new trend.

GS:  I'm guessing that you're thinking of the tin man's body like an oil drum.  The oval makes him just as wide, but not fat.  More like a Jerry Can, except not a rectangle.  Does this explain it?

Archived