Please help me to understand this pattern

Kate Cooper

Question

I have just started a cardigan for myself and stuck already as a novice.

Chain 50

Row 1 (right side) Sc in 4th ch from hook, * skip next ch, (dc,sc) in next ch; repeat from * ;turn-24 sc.

Row 2-21 ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout) sc in first st, (dc,sc) in each sc across, turn. Do not turn at last row.

Does this mean i have 24 st that are not used?

Thanks for your help

14 answers to this question

the "--24 sc" at end of row 1 is just giving you your stitch count, as Jessica said.  so count the number of sc you have in this row and if it is 24, you are right on track.  

when you ask if there are 24 st that are not used, I guess in a way you do have unused sts since on the next row you only stitch into the sc and not into the dc.  not sure if that is what you meant though.

...and welcome to the ville :hook

Welcome to Crochetville!

As Jessica and Kathy said, that 24 sc is just a count.  Your total count is 48 stitches (24 sc and 24 dc) every row.  Here's how it breaks down ...

First row:

The first 3 chains are your turning chain.  They count as a dc.  Normally, you'd count 50 chains - 3 (turning chain) for your stitch count.  However, you're putting an sc in the same stitch, which increases your count to 48.

Next you're skipping a chain, and then putting 2 stitches (a dc and an sc) in the next chain.  The 2 stitches make up for the skipped chain, so that it's the same number of stitches.  Alternate the skipping and 2 stitches across. 

That's how you get to 24 sc + 24 dc (including the first turning chain) = 48 stitches.

Rows 2-21:

This is the same as the first row.  You do a chain 3, turning chain.  It counts as a dc.  Then you do an sc in the same stitch.

Next, you're skipping a stitch (the dc), and then putting 2 stitches (a dc and an sc) in the next sc.  The 2 stitches make up for the for the skipped dc, so that it's the same number of stitches.  Alternate the skipping and 2 stitches across.

That's how you get to 24 sc + 24 dc (including the turning chain) = 48 stitches.

I hope this helps!

Doing an sc in the 4th chain from the hook is the same as doing a dc and an sc in the same stitch.  Three of the chains are for your dc.  The 4th chain is the foundation for your dc, sc combination.  It's just like when you start the next row.  You'll do a chain-3 (aka turning chain) and an sc in the same stitch.  That represents a dc, sc combination.

You'll get 24 sets of the dc, sc combinations, which = a total of 48 stitches.  You should have a turning chain + 23 other dc stitches + 24 sc stitches on every row 1 to 21.

Next section says

Shape armholes

Round 1; ch 48, skip edge of back, working across opposite side of foundation ch, (Dc,sc) in first ch (at base of [dc,sc in row 1) *skip next ch, (dc,sc) in next ch; repeat from * across foundation ch, ch 48' skip side edge of back, (doc,sc) in first sc of row 21, place marker in first sc. work in spiral. Move marker up as work progress.

This is meant to be an easy pattern but as a beginner I am not finding it easy at all, please help

Many Thanks

Kate

There are actually 4 levels of difficulty, easy, beginner, intermediate and difficult.  This pattern sounds like it's between beginner and intermediate.  Your skill level sounds like it's at easy.  But, that's OK.  It's how you learn.  You'll only advance skill levels by trying things in the next level.  I think you're plugging away just fine!

The 2 times that you chain 48 are to create a foundation for the sleeves.  When you do the sleeves, you'll be crocheting into them.  But, that's in a future step.  I just wanted to you to know why you were doing them.

When you started, you made a foundation chain.  It's where you crocheted row 1.  You're now at row 21. 

- chain 48  (you'll now have 21 rows with a long chain hanging off of the end of row 21)

- Rotate it so that row 1 is at the top, and row 21 is at the bottom.  You're going to be crocheting into the back of the original foundation chain.  It's on the other side of row 1.

- Do a dc,sc combo in the first chain on the other side of row 1 (you'll now have the chain 48 connected to row 21 at the bottom and to the other side of row 1 at the top)

- Do your skip dc,sc combo the whole way across (24 combos = 48 stitches)

- chain 48

- Rotate it so that row 21 is at the top and the work you just did is at the bottom

- Do a dc, sc combo in the first sc of row 21 (you'll now have your 2nd chain 48 connected to the other side of row 1 at the bottom and to row 21 at the top.  It'll look like a flat fabric with 2 rings on the sides.  ( XXXXXXX )

The last part of the instructions means that round 2 intends to continue across row 21, into the first ch-48, across the row you created on the other side of row 1, into the 2nd ch-48, back to where you ended round 1.

The marker is to show you where a round ends and the next one begins.  There's an easier way than using a marker.  Get a piece of scrap yarn in an easy to see color.  Lay it across your work before you do the dc, sc combo on row 21.  Do the stitches, so that it is caught underneath.  When you come around again, flip it so that it gets caught underneath the first stitch of the next round.  Keep doing this until you finish.  Pull it out when you're done.  This is called a running stitch marker.  It's much easier to do and see, than moving a plastic marker.  Just make sure that it doesn't fall out before round 3.

Etak111, is this your pattern?  (Looks nice and cozy!)

The best patterns for wearables IMO are the ones with a schematic that show you measurements & it's supposed to look like and how it's put together.  If it's this pattern, it does have a schematic.  For now, pretend the sleeves aren't there, and the schematic is just the oval with the rectangle in the middle.

The rectangle is the back, made in rows.  What you are doing in 'round 1' is starting to work AROUND the back, but only stitching into the top and the bottom of the back piece.  The sides are spanned by chains, which become the openings around which you will later work the sleeves.

Redrosesdz described the details, I was just trying to help you visualize 'where you were going' with it.  

Thankyou all for your help I thought I had to chain 48 at the end of row 21 but it just didn't sound right redrosesdz.

This is described as an easy pattern.

Yes granny square it is that pattern. So going on round 2 and onwards am I rite in reading that I am working around the 2sides of the back plus the 2 loops made from the chain 48 at each end?

It'll all even out when you add more rounds.  That section of chain holes should disappear as the project progresses.  Things can look glaring to you when they are first done, but are hard to find after they are covered up by more rows/rounds.

What is happening is that a chain has 3 strands of yarn.  When you crochet into the foundation row for row 1, you chose which strand(s) get caught in the stitch and which one(s) are underneath the stitch.  If you crocheted into the top of the chain (the >), then there was one strand underneath, called the back bump.  When you crocheted into that back bump, there is only one strand of yarn being caught in the stitch.  When you only catch one strand of yarn, it can stretch and pull, which creates a hole.  It takes a bit of practice to not stretch a single strand of yarn when it's a chain's back bump, front loop only or back loop only stitch.

Archived