yarn fuzzy problems

SubMachine

Question

8 answers to this question

Do you happen to have a picture of the fuzzy part you're talking about? Also, if I may ask, what kind of yarn did you use in your blanket?

If I'm thinking of the right kind of "fuzzy," I believe I've experienced it a little with my first blanket. It was with a bulkier yarn, however; I'd been using some bulky weight Viva yarn in denim. It wasn't a huge problem, as the yarn had been doing that slightly while I was working with it, so I just let it be.

That is some weird fuzzy action! I've experienced it before when working with yarn; I don't quite remember exactly how I removed it, but I remember I did. I believe that's just part of the yarn strands separating... somehow? If you've ever tried to "brush out" Super Saver yarn [and I assume most yarn], it will do that. I did it on purpose for the bottom braids of an ear flap hat once.

The only reason I can think of that happening is if some sort of sharp object has come into contact with it [the one thing I can think of are a cat's claws, as they like to knead fabrics and yarn and things. At least, mine does] and has caused it. I believe that's how my other blanket started fraying a little like that; my cat loved to lay on it before I wrapped it up as a gift.

I'm sure a more experienced member can explain it better than I can. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Welcome to Crochetville!

It happens when something pulls on the yarn, usually something sharp.  I have a senior cat that can no longer retract his claws, so this happens to me, too.

It looks like your yarn actually broke.  If that's the case, then you can use small scissors and just snip it off.  If it's just pulled, then you can tuck it back in.  Use a small crochet hook or latch hook.  Insert the hook from the back in the same hole where the yarn goes.  Grab the yarn and gently pull it to the back.  Gently use your fingers to massage it into place.  Usually once you massage it back into place, it'll stay.  If you think it'll pull out again, tack it down in the back with some thread. 

The top left looks almost like a snag or a woven-in end that popped out, the bottom right is a little harder to tell, but might be a 'pill', which is caused by friction.  

I use a 'sweater shaver' regularly in the winter, it's like an electric hair shaver (sort of) but for made for yarn.  I make a lot of acrylic pullover sweaters for myself, and they tend to 'pill' in areas of wear.  I shave them after maybe every other wash.  

There are other similar (non electric) things to remove pills, like combs and stones, but I understand those work for wool not acrylic (something to do with the fibers being different).

Archived