Problem with Red Heart Gingerbread House Throw

greyhoundgrandma

Question

I'm hoping someone has already tried this pattern and can point out what I am doing wrong. I have looked up the pattern correction that is available which was no help and emailed red heart through their website and impatiently await an answer.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/gingerbread-house-throw

You finish up the granny squares in round 9 by doing sc's in each sc of the previous round and ch1 to match the ch 1s between the granny groups. Then round 10 has you doing a sc in each previous sc without addressing the ch 1 spaces. The stitch count at the end of round 10 would indicate that you skip the ch 1 spaces, but that would be 6 less stitches on each side of the square and I don't see how it can lay flat if you do that.

Round 9: With right side facing, join D with sc in any corner ch-2 space, 2 sc in same space, [sc in next 3 dc, *ch 1, skip next ch-1 space, sc in next 3 dc; repeat from * across to next corner ch-2 space, 3 sc in next corner ch-2 space] 3 times, sc in next 3 dc, **ch 1, skip next ch-1 space, sc in next 3 dc; repeat from ** across to first sc; join with slip st in first sc—96 sc.

Round 10: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, 3 sc in next sc, *sc in next 23 sc, 3 sc in next sc; repeat from * twice, sc in each sc to first sc;

join with slip st in first sc—104 sc. Fasten off

Then I looked on to the house pieces that go 4 on each end. They are 29 stitches to a row (29 x 4 =116). I can't make that equal out to 4 of the granny squares whether I left out or put in the ch 1 spaces.

Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

I'm not sure how you got to 29 stitches to a row.  It should be (25 stitches + the corner) X 4 = 104 stitches.

Round 8 should end in 92 stitches, counting every dc and chain, including the 2 chains in each corner.

In round 9 you're adding 4 stitches.  On the sides it's an sc in every dc + a chain over every ch-1 space (21 stitches on each side) + 3 in the corners = 96 stitches.

In round 10 you're adding 8 stitches.  On the sides it's an sc in every sc and ch-1 (23 stitches) + 3 in the corners = 104 stitches.  Note: you go from 21 stitches on the sides to 23, because you're now counting 2 stitches from row 9's corners as part of the sides.

For joining you should now have 25 stitches in the sides and the corner, because the the 2 stitches from row 10's corners are now part of the sides.

I think the problem is that in row 10 they are counting the ch-1s in row 9 as sc stitches.  The counts come out right, if you assume they did that.  When I do an sc edge around a granny square, I sc into the ch-1 spaces.  That way it's sc the whole way around. 

Does any of this help?  (Sometimes you just need a second pair of eyes looking at something or a long break from it. :) )

I'm not sure how you got to 29 stitches to a row.  It should be (25 stitches + the corner) X 4 = 104 stitches.

The house blocks are done in rows and that is what the pattern calls for--29 sc in the row. I will be matching up 4 granny squares with four house blocks on each end.

Round 8 should end in 92 stitches, counting every dc and chain, including the 2 chains in each corner.

They do the stitch counts a little strangely on this pattern.  "7 groups of 3 dc and 6 ch-1 spaces on each side and 4 corner ch-2 spaces" so that's 27 st on the side + the corner ch-2s.

If you are doing a total st count for the square that's 84 dc + 24 ch-1s + 8 sts on for the corner ch-2s.

In round 9 you're adding 4 stitches.  On the sides it's an sc in every dc + a chain over every ch-1 space (21 stitches on each side) + 3 in the corners = 96 stitches.

Yes, I added 4 stitches in this round and their/and my count is 96 sc, (the previous 84 dc + 3 sc in each corner) which is what I have, but that doesn't include the 24 ch-1 spaces that were done. So that's 29 on a side + the corner 4 extra sc.

In round 10 you're adding 8 stitches.  On the sides it's an sc in every sc and ch-1 (23 stitches) there are 23 sc + 6 ch-1 on each side + 3 in the corners = 104 stitches  .  Note: you go from 21 stitches on the sides to 23, because you're now counting 2 stitches from row 9's corners as part of the sides.

The problem I have is they didn't address the ch-1s from round 9. The sc count is right if you skip them, but that would be a decrease of 6 st on each side which isn't going to lay flat. If you sc in each ch-1 then the stitch count is wrong.

And either way it isn't going to match up to the 29 stitches for the house block.

For joining you should now have 25 stitches in the sides and the corner, because the the 2 stitches from row 10's corners are now part of the sides.

I think the problem is that in row 10 they are counting the ch-1s in row 9 as sc stitches.  The counts come out right, if you assume they did that. The count is for just the sc not the ch-1s.  When I do an sc edge around a granny square, I sc into the ch-1 spaces.  That way it's sc the whole way around. 

Does any of this help?  (Sometimes you just need a second pair of eyes looking at something or a long break from it. :) )

Thanks, a second pair definitely help! But it's still not coming out right.

I'm confused on the round 8 count.  But, your round 9 count came up right.  I still think that they have an error in round 10 and they counted the ch-1s in round 9 as sc stitches.  It's the only way to come up with a total of 104.  You're right that decreasing would cause it to curl.

If you have 25 on the sides plus 2 corners, then you'd still need 2 more stitches per block to match the houses.

I think it's time to contact Red Heart and ask them to explain the counts.  Either that or fudge it by adding an extra stitch at each corner.

I thought I would report in, in case anyone else is making this throw. I never heard back from Red Heart, so I just now went back to the pdf tab I had open on my computer with the intention of calling them. The rounds in question have been corrected on the pdf, so I am finally ready to get back to it..

The stitch count isn't right on one round, but the instructions are correct now. I've worked on squares off and on this afternoon and finished the last two rounds of the first square and did 3 more squares. So it's working up pretty quickly.

It's interesting the different response you get from different companies.

Archived