Realized my beginning chain was too loose - any fix?

Cheriblu

Question

I have just made a beautiful blanket that is perfection in stitch count (a first for me).  But I very sadly realized it is not rectangular because my beginning chain and possibly 10 stitches are too loose.   Is there any fix to going back and tightening a beginning blanket?  The ends are 4 to 6 inches off (can't remember exact measurement.)

Or could the loose stitches/rows be removed and "finish off" the blanket so it looks good as new?

I almost feel silly asking.  Just sad and can't frog the entire thing - over 5 skeins.  Historically, I have always started way too tight.....so this time, went too far the other way.

If I put a backing on it, could I disguise the error?  It is about 1.5 inches on each side at the wide end that would be turned under.  Another person on Revelry put a gorgeous possibly thin fleece backing on their Blackberry Bobble Blanket.  

Thanks so much for your help.

Here is a link to my project on Ravelry.

Blanket

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Cheriblu/blackberry-salad-striped-baby-blanket

post-48094-0-31656600-1452097124_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

This happened to me many years ago. I finally figured out I picked up a larger hook 2/3 of the way through the pattern without realizing it. If this were my project, as I did with my "growing" afghan, I'd frog it to where it is starting to expand, then finish. It sounds daunting but, to me, it would be much better than hiding all those gorgeous stitches with fabric.

It's beautiful, I love the colors.  

For the backing, it might work if you stitch it down (like, quilting it) aggressively  (maybe between every bobble).  If you sew, like easing the crochet fabric at the wide end (easing=gathering the crochet fabric just short of puckering it),  keeping the backing piece flat).

The only other thing would be to cut it (yes, cut) carefully across a row at the point the width is right, carefully pick out the end bits and keep the live stitch bottom loops from unraveling (put them on a string; they will look like knit stitches on a needle).  Then, unravel the short section from the cut end; unfortunately it looks like it will be more than a skein's worth.  Then, re-make it using the loops on the string as your 'chain' to put the first stitches into.  It will look different since the stitches are going in the other direction, and will have a little 'seam', but I'm not sure how noticeable it would be with all the colors.

Archived