Russian crochet symbol

eibed

Question

i'm new to Crochetville and am looking for an answer:  In a Russian pattern they have a symbol that looks like a small letter t but the bottom doesn't curve around like a monkey tail....it is straight...it isn't a plus sign or a x just a letter t without the curve....wondering if it is an EXTENDED SINGLE CROCHET?  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

deb

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville. To me, a "T" (either caps or lower case)has always represented a hdc symbol, pretty basic globally.

The link to this Blogger , in her archive of October 2011, has 5 charts of Russian crochet symbols and I don't see anything for a symbol made of a small "t" (no tail). I didn't see a symbol for hdc, so, I'm wondering if that's it since a dc is a large T with  slash and a sc is a x (or + sometimes).

This Blogger shows a "T" as a (htr) in UK and hdc in US terms, but, doesn't refer to Russian terms.

Maybe a 'Ville member that is familiar with Russian crochet terms will see this post and jump right in. :)

US symbols seem to add a cross at the top, non-US leave the top cross off.  

HDC is just a vertical line | (non-US), or a capital T (US).  

The symbols with crosses mid-line, with or without the horizontal cross at the very top, show the number of yarn overs for taller stitches (1 for DC, 2 for TR, 3 for DTR, etc. This is handy for doilies, that sometimes have really tall stitches, so you don't have to worry about the names, which get weird after triple (double triple? quadruple?); just count the cross hash marks.  So 't' is DC, non-US...well, a non-US symbol for the US DC stitch.

Granny Square, on 27 Dec 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

US symbols seem to add a cross at the top, non-US leave the top cross off.  

HDC is just a vertical line | (non-US), or a capital T (US).  

The symbols with crosses mid-line, with or without the horizontal cross at the very top, show the number of yarn overs for taller stitches (1 for DC, 2 for TR, 3 for DTR, etc. This is handy for doilies, that sometimes have really tall stitches, so you don't have to worry about the names, which get weird after triple (double triple? quadruple?); just count the cross hash marks.  So 't' is DC, non-US...well, a non-US symbol for the US DC stitch.

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation Granny Square.

Archived