DL stich help

Beanie80

Question

Hello, I'm still fairly new to crochet but loving it! I've come across an instruction I'm not sure about. The abbreviation is DL= double dc.

I have row 6 that has some fpdc's in it, then row 7 of dc's. The current row I'm on is saying: ch1, sc in next dc, 1 DL hooked into the last fpdc of row 7 and 1DL hooked into the next fpdc of row 7 not closed and closed together??

Any help on what the DL section of this means, I can't seem to find any tutorials

Thanks

11 answers to this question

welcome to the ville !

what is the name and location of the pattern?  

the pattern should define DL by saying more than just double dc, because double dc doesnt really tell you anything....or at least it doesn't tell me anyhting!  I'm sure you can't find any tutorials, because it is not a common/standard stitch name.  So be sure you have readd all the notes before and after the pattern itself, hopefully the terms are explained there.  

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Usually a conventionally written pattern using a non-standard stitch with have a listing of them, and how they are made, either at the beginning or end of the pattern.  I have to say the language of the pattern sounds like it is not clearly/conventionally written, 'hooked into' and 'closed/not closed' ... ??

Is this a pattern on the net for which you can provide a link?  This might help us decipher it, or suggest a similar pattern that is more clearly written.

Jinx, Magic!

Granny,  I think that Kathy is winning the "post the same advice at the exact same time" tennis match you two have going!  It's so funny to see both of you type almost the exact same thing, look at the time and know that you're both posting at the same time.  I haven't counted, but it seems like Kathy's post shows up first more often!  hehehehehe

Hi everyone thanks for your response, sorry it's taken me so long to get back, I haven't been able to get on the web site!

The pattern is here http://library.ravelry.com/neverland1975/516170/IMPRESSIONI_DI_SETTEMBRE_HAT_ENG.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNNSUP6J3RN4WZYQ&Expires=1448225371&Signature=3zrWLx4g7T5kFGJOCJR1Z9LQozs%3D

The DL is line 9 where I assume the chevrons start? Still haven't been able to work it out! Any suggestions?

Ah, the picture helps a lot.  Neat looking hat!  

It would have been nice of the designer to explain that stitch, the other stitches in the abbreviations were standard stitches, this one is not.  

So, this is the point where you have changed color to purple (per the pattern photo).  The double DC first shows up in round 9, and it is telling you to make 2 DC starting from the same stitch, but into post stitches from post 7.  You will be creating a ^ shape.  The 'not closed and closed together' is confusing, I'd be interested to see what others think--maybe it's just describing the shape?  Maybe because 1 DL is open, but when you make more they connect?   ^^^^^  (just guessing; and the pattern writer may not be a native english speaker since the name of the pattern, and the other version, is in Italian).

I am guessing by the photo, that you are meant to go around an unspecified loop at the base (?) of the designated post stitch in round 7, instead of working it like a post stitch.  I'd follow the photo (you'll have to turn it upside down for the same perspective).

I hope I'm explaining this clearly;  the first time I ran into this sort of stitch it seemed pretty strange!

In the Italian version it says punto alto doppio, which means triple crochet in US terms http://www.crochetmemories.com/language.html

Not closed means to hold back the last loop of the first triple, and clsed together means to finish off the two sts at once, like a two stitch cluster.

:hi  (to Beanie80, Magiccrochetfan and I often seem to post at the same time and then wave at each other)  Maybe this time it's sort of like volleyball, sometimes it takes 2 to get the ball over the net ;)

That makes sense re: Italian translation; I thought those looked like triples and almost suggested trying triples because of the long-looking 'stretch'.  And finishing like a cluster, rather than 2 in 1 stitch, would make a more crisp, pointed ^ shape.

Archived