decreasing

denver11

Question

I'm fairly new to the world of crochet but have made a few blankets now. But my new project is a stuffed horse. Up until now I have managed to read pattern for myself but now I have hit a stubbing block and need help. I know how to decrease using sc2tog so for example I know that (sc2tog,5sc) 6 times; means 1sc in the next 5 stitches then sc2tog ....

But the I'm stuck on what 12sc, sc2tog 6 times, 12sc means? I'm decreasing from 36 stiches in my round to 30. Please advise

20 answers to this question

I'm big on rewriting patterns when they don't make sense to me.  I have a tendency to use the same short-hand, but write out the repeats.  Hopefully it makes sense to you, too.

Round 21:sc2tog 2 times, 6sc, Inc 3 times, 5sc, sc2tog 20 stitches.

sc2tog, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog = 20 stitches
Round 22: same as above

sc2tog, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog = 20 stitches
Round 23: 10sc, Inc 2 times, 8sc; 22 stitches

sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc = 22 stitches
Round 24: Inc 2 times, 20sc; 24 stitches

2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, = 24 stitches
Round 25: 1sc, Inc 2 times, 5sc, sc2tog 6 times, 4sc; 20 stitches

sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc = 20 stitches

(sc2tog,6sc) 3 times, sc2tog, 28sc

sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc = 56 stitches

By the way, you said "I know how to decrease using sc2tog so for example I know that (sc2tog,5sc) 6 times; means 1sc in the next 5 stitches then sc2tog" in your first post.  (sc2tog, 5sc) 6 times actually means sc2tog in the next stitches and then 5 sc in each of the next 5 stitches, repeat that sequence 6 times.  When you're doing amigurumi it's important to follow the instructions as listed, because the increases and decreases help make the shape.  If you do it backwards, it may be misshapen. 

Here's 2 other hints....

1. When I'm writing out the instructions, I use an excel spreadsheet.  I put a 1 for an sc, a 2 for an increase and a .5 in 2 spaces for a decrease.  This helps me to see where the stitches are in relation to the previous and next rows.  Also, I use the sum function in the first column to calculate the stitch count, so that I know if it's correct or not.

2. I use a running stitch until it's done.  I have a long piece of contrasting yarn.  Starting with round 2, I lay it under the first stitch of each round, so I can keep track of where it started.  I put the tail on the right side, so that I know that every time I flip it towards me, I'm starting an odd row.  I just pull it out when I'm done with the piece.

ETA: I missed reading that you're 30 weeks pregnant before.  Congratulations!!  Good luck with the birth and with your horse project.  I hope both turn out well, especially the birth!  :)

Sc2tog 2 times, 6sc, Inc 3 times, 5sc, sc2tog = 20 stitches.

sc2tog, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog

10sc, Inc 2 times, 8sc = 22 stitches.

sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc

Inc 2 times, 20sc = 24 stitches

2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc

1sc, Inc 2 times, 5sc, sc2tog 6 times, 4sc = 20 stitches.

sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc, sc, sc, sc

Try writing them out.  Just write the stitch the number of times that it states. 

I'm stuck on what this means:

Sc2tog 2 times, 6sc, Inc 3 times, 5sc, sc2tog = 20 stitches.

10sc, Inc 2 times, 8sc = 22 stitches.

Inc 2 times, 20sc = 24 stitches

1sc, Inc 2 times, 5sc, sc2tog 6 times, 4sc = 20 stitches.

Can someone please help. X

Thank you so much for all that help redrosesdz that is exactly what I call layman's terms and I've managed to progress.

Thank you to magiccrochetfan I find crocheting very relaxing and I have only been at it since August but just recently trying to teach myself how to read patterns, as befire got a lot of my help from YouTube. If you knew me you would understand that I'm not one to give up easily without a fight, and determination is my middle name. This is a gift for someone for Christmas and I must finish. Once I know all the terms it will be fine and all become se on nature to me, until then I will persevere. I bought the pattern of etsy. I'm sorry guys for being a pain but please stick with me, I appreciate it and hopefully I will have a finished product shortly. Xx

If you would tell us the name and location of this pattern, so we can see the whole pattern, that may help us guide you.

And if my interpretation of (sc2tog,6sc) 3 times, sc2tog, 28sc.
Means: 1sc in next 6 stitches, then sc2tog & repeat 3 times in a row, then 2sctog followed by 28sc.

No, that is not what it means.  as I posted earlier, it means to do the "sc2tog, 6 sc" three times. then sc2tog again, then do 28 sc.  

things that are in ( ) are meant as one action.  so here you would be doing this:  sc2tog, 6sc, sc2tog, 6sc, sc2tog, 6sc.  

if all of this is truly stressing you out, maybe it is time to give yourself a break from it and do something else for a while, maybe a pattern you already understand or something other than crocheting.  Many people say that crochet helps them calm down when they are stressed, but that isn't true for everyone.  If I am really stressed, I can't crochet at all as I will simply make too many mistakes, have too-tight tension, count wrong, etc etc.  I have to BE fairly relaxed in order to crochet enjoyably.  And some patterns are simply presented in a way that doesn't communicate well to every crocheter.  In this case, I personally do not love the style this one is written in, as I said earlier.  i would prefer a graphic representation using stitch symbols myself.  

Sorry I'm completely lost I just need to know what round 21,22,& 23 mean that I stated on my previous posts. And if my interpretation of (sc2tog,6sc) 3 times, sc2tog, 28sc.

Means: 1sc in next 6 stitches, then sc2tog & repeat 3 times in a row, then 2sctog followed by 28sc.

I am 30 weeks pregnant and my stress levels are going through the roof. I just want to understand and finish my project.

For example: (sc2tog, 6sc) 3 times, sc2tog, 28sc.

My interpretation of this is: 1sc in next 6 stitches the sc2tog 3 in a row together then sc 28 stitches. Am I right?

-----------

When something is in parentheses, you do all of that the # of times it says after the parentheses. so here you would do the "sc2tog, 6 sc" three times. then sc2tog again, then do 28 sc.

for the part in your post #4, have you written it out? it should make sense once you do that.

Thank you I have done that already I have a list of the abbreviations and I'm trying to type the pattern up now in my own words. I understand the abbreviation it is the format they are written in I do not understand if that makes sense. For example: (sc2tog, 6sc) 3 times, sc2tog, 28sc.

My interpretation of this is: 1sc in next 6 stitches the sc2tog 3 in a row together then sc 28 stitches. Am I right?

But my previous post where I posted rounds that I am stuck on and can't make any sense of have me completely baffled and I can't continue with project as no idea what they mean. X

I think what Magiccrochetfan meant, was write out the abbreviations into real words, like

sc2tog = single crochet 2 stitches together

sc=single crochet

5 sc=1 sc into each of the next 5 stitches 

etc.

The only one that is a little different would be, instead of inc=increase, you might make more sense out of: inc=2 single crochets into the next stitch.

There is nothing mysterious about the rewriting, or different or clearer way to say it -- the into is all there, just abbreviated.   I also think it will help you to write it out yourself, it will help it 'stick' better--like in school, when taking notes during a lecture in school helps you remember things, even if you don't read the notes again.

My suggestion is to rewrite it for yourself in complete words.  I think the information you need is all there, it is just in such an abbreviated form that it looks confusing.  

Also it is in a new (to me at least) shorthand where they don't say where to place the stitch....those of us who've been using patterns for a while are used to having that info.  But for amigurumi especially it seems to be popular to leave out the "where"...more like a knitting pattern in which you have the previous row of sts lined up on the needle.  I guess it makes sense for ami because you rarely if ever skip a stitch.

Anyhow, I think if you write it out for yourself you will have what you need.  The 20 sts, 22 sts, etc at the end of each round is just the stitch count for the completed round.  

Currently got 20 stiches on round but next few stages asks for:

Round 1:sc2tog 2 times, 6sc, Inc 3 times, 5sc, sc2tog 20 stitches.

Round 2: same as above

Round 3: 10sc, Inc 2 times, 8sc; 22 stitches

Round 4: Inc 2 times, 20sc; 24 stitches

Round 5: 1sc, Inc 2 times, 5sc, sc2tog 6 times, 4sc; 20 stitches

Help need it in layman's terms please.

Archived