beanie trouble?

ficus

Question

I've just made a beanie and it was all double crochet.  The hat itself does not lay flat unless you smoosh it down and is somewhat concave with the middle flat and the edges all around curving up.  Should it be this way? Additionally, my rows are curved up in what looks kinda like a slight smile, again with the edges curved up...I've looked on Etsy and Ravelry and seen a lot of hats that look like double crochet to me with straight rows, and seem totally flat when laid down on a surface.  What have I done wrong, and how could I improve in the future?

I've attached a pic, but it is not as bad as it was initially as I've kinda pushed and pulled it to make it straighter.

post-76009-0-35814400-1443043663_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville! There is nothing wrong with your hat. It is natural for it to look like that. Try it on or place it over a round object, you will see it looks fine. It is a spherical shape, you can't make it totally flat unless you cut into it.

The important thing is, how will it look on the wearer's head?  This looks right to me, except it looks a little shallow--is this a child's size?  The ratio of hat height to circumference changes as you move from kid to adult sizes--adult sizes are proportionally taller, and the more rounds you make tend to straighten out the curved effect at the hem somewhat..

Hat measurements by age - note the height includes a brim roll-up allowance

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

edit, I just looked at the pattern more closely, it looks like the designer is calling for somewhat shorter hats than that in my link...and then measured a couple of hats I've made that are to my liking height wise, and they are 7" as per this pattern, not the link (minus turn-up).   Hmm.

Thank you both so much!  I'm very relieved.  It is a baby hat, so I can't try it on myself to see how it looks and haven't found anything it might fit on. Well, mebbe I can try some kitchen bowls.

I used this link for the sizing. It seems to have slightly smaller measurements than the link you posted Granny Square.  :(  

I hope it will be ok!

http://anniespictureperfect.blogspot.co.il/2013/01/how-to-properly-size-crochet-hats-chart.html

It is 5 inches across before stopping the increase rounds and 6 inches from top to bottom, for a 3 month old baby.

Magiccrochetfan, your hat is more like mine looked before I started pulling and stretching it, so I'm really relieved about it lolol.

How long does it take for you guys to make a beanie..it took me a long time, but I haven't the experience.

Hi!  Welcome to the 'Ville!  I've made hundreds of hats, and they all pucker a little, due to the fact that they are supposed to go onto a round head, and not lay flat on a flat surface.  I've gotten to where I can make a baby hat in about half an hour.  I just made a chemo hat last night that took me about 2 hours.  After you have crocheted for a while, you get quicker!  But speed doesn't matter--it's the pattern and the neatness that matter!  AND--above all--the joy you get from crocheting!  Happy Crocheting!

Wow Avon Lady! You can crochet a hat in 30 minutes!  LOL, I was more like 30 HOURS.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and kept pulling it apart and starting over. But I think it's ok now.

That is a great, cheap idea for the balloon redroses! Thanks!

I am embarking on my 2nd hat tomorrow.  I'd like to make a bunch of stuff for presents this winter, we'll see.  It's a lot to learn.

Wow Avon Lady! You can crochet a hat in 30 minutes!  LOL, I was more like 30 HOURS.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and kept pulling it apart and starting over. But I think it's ok now.

That is a great, cheap idea for the balloon redroses! Thanks!

I am embarking on my 2nd hat tomorrow.  I'd like to make a bunch of stuff for presents this winter, we'll see.  It's a lot to learn.

Well, those baby hats are just plain sc or dc, and very small--so-o-o-o...  You'll get to where you can crochet faster.  Better to learn properly now, then crochet fast later!!  Good luck on your Christmas gifts!  I had planned several for my husband's family--but the time is growing short, so I don't know if I'll get them done or not!  I have two Crafts Shows to do in November, so I'm trying to wrap up on those items first!

Archived