Beginner needs help

Yhumi

Question

Sorry if this is already a topic, I used the search function but maybe I wasn't putting in the right keywords. 

Basically I messed up what I was currently crocheting so I've decided to start again and I'm going to crochet some christmas presents.

How do I cast off (sorry if this isn't the right term!) My mum did the first row before when teaching me but she didn't show me how to start. I've tried youtube videos and i've got a book but I just can't quite get it. 

I'm wanting to do squares but personalised them for each person but I'm not really sure how to do that, i've seen squares with initial;reindeers;penguins etv in them but i couldn't see instructions on how to do it. 

If anyone has any hints/tips, can direct me to an existing thread I would be really greatful. 

7 answers to this question

Are you trying to knit or crochet? 

Casting on/off are knitting terminology that refer to adding the first row on a knitting needle and taking the last row off of a knitting needle.  I'm not a knitter, so I don't know how it's done.

Making pictures, using different colors of yarn, is called entarsia or tapestry.  Try googling either term with the word crochet or knit.  There are a ton of blogs and videos out there.

Do you have a pattern that you're following or are you trying to wing it?  I strongly suggest following simple patterns to build up your knowledge and skill level before winging it.

To start crocheting, make a loop around the hook and make a chain.  You can also start by making a slip knot around the hook, but it doesn't look as nice.  The number of chains varies.  You'll need 1 chain for a base.  You'll need chains for height, if you're working in the round, which is what most squares are.  1 chain for a single crochet height, 2 for half double crochet, 2 or 3 for double crochet and 4 for treble crochet.  Or if you're working in rows, you'll need 1 chain for a base + chain for height + a chain for every stitch across.

Thank you. I'm crocheting. I'm not following a pattern but I'm starting to think I probably should. I'll have a look around the site. I can make a loop but it just falls apart it doesn't seem to take properly 

I want to make a memory blanket as well. I've found the one I want to spend my life with and I thought a heirloom/memory blanket would be nice 

To make the loop, if you're right-handed...

Lay the yarn over your right index finger with the yarn in the back and the tail in the front.  Twist your finger so that the tail lays on top of the yarn.  Remove your finger and insert the hook with the tail still laying over the top of the yarn.  Make a chain.

You might Google "Beginning Crochet" or "learning to Crochet" to find some really easy tutorials for starting to learn to crochet.  There are ever so many web sites for it!  Good luck--and let us know how you're doing!  And above all--have fun crocheting!

Aside from videos (I'm a bit leery of these, there are a lot of good ones but also some really awful ones), there are some free Kindle books showing how to crochet, this listing is sorted by price and the first item, a set of 3 books, looks promising.  If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle app, or a Kindle reader for your PC for free.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=how+to+crochet&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A154606011%2Cn%3A156699011%2Cn%3A156765011%2Cn%3A156771011%2Ck%3Ahow+to+crochet&qid=1438630659&sort=price-asc-rank

As a very beginner, I wouldn't start with a project, but start with making some swatches to practice your stitches and how to start from the very beginning.  It will take some practice before you learn not only how to make the stitches, but how to make them neatly and with consistent tension (especially if you are making gifts).

After you've got that down pat, then please do find a pattern - the designer will have done all the planning work for you and you will learn a lot by following what the pattern says.  I strongly suggest that you find a written pattern so you learn how to read the crochet terms.  Here is a link to how to read a pattern: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html    There are a lot of other useful links on this site as well.

Another site with tutorials that is very good is this one, this is a link to the tutorial menu http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

Archived