Wonky blanket

Liz Charles

Question

16 answers to this question

Back in 2007 approx when I first started looking online for crochet info, the Martha reference was one of the first things I found.  I was astounded to find any crochet info on her site.  It looked a little different then but the info was the same.  

:hook

That's interesting that Martha recommends turning them.  I came back to add that in addition to fixing the skew problem, it also makes the square reversible, which Martha points out (looks better).

That's what I meant about the afghan not having a right side or a wrong side, but Granny Square said it better!

CrochetCabana http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_grannysquare.html  different ways to do grannies including turning.

Martha Stewart (lol who knew Martha had any crochet info, huh?) http://www.marthastewart.com/269366/crocheting-a-granny-square

Turning at the end of every round--so every point you join and chain up to start the next round, chain up and turn instead.

Crochet stitches have a 'lean' to them; if you crochet a flat piece (turning each row), the leaning cancels itself out.  If you crochet in the round, with the same side always facing you, the lean compounds itself.

The taller the stitch, the more evident the leaning is.  I did a sample to show how the lean cancels itself out when you turn (these are triples, which make the lean more evident).  If you don't turn, the piece will start to skew in the 'lean' direction, like your blanket.

post-13625-0-96263700-1436555828_thumb.jpg

We've touched on this subject a lot here on the 'Ville.  Most of us agree that if you turn the piece when you're making a granny square, it straightens out the leaning.  I turn mine every row, some others only turn it every 3 or 4 rows.  The nature of the double crochet stitch is what makes it lean, and turning it evens out that lean.  It also solves the problem of having a right side and a wrong side.

Archived