Can I start a ripple part way through a pattern

Pippa Barwell

Question

Hi

I have a question. Is it possible to start a ripple pattern part way through a blanket? I want to make a blanket that looks like the sea with a beach. I want to crochet the beach straight but then I want to do the sea with a ripple pattern. I want to do the beach first as I am using Lionbrand homespun and that would make it easier to start as the chains are nearly impossible to see. 

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Seems to me like you should be able to.  The ripples might not be all that deep, at least not to start with.  I would think you could start off with a type of shell stitch and expand it from there - hopefully someone here has a more definite answer for you!!  Good luck - sounds like an amazing idea for an afghan!

welcome to the ville!

it is also going to be extremely difficult to see and work into the sttiches in order to keep the ripple set up correctly.  and i think it may be hard once it is done, if you do get the ripples all lined up, to to actually see the distinct ripples, just because of the texture of the Homespun.  

once you know the stitch multiple for your ripple, you can easily make a swatch involving both colors and stitch patterns, to test out the idea and see how do-able it is.  You probably want a row of graduated sts to transition between the solid part and the ripple.  

It'll work because I've done something like that. Feather and fan works too and you can do a row of back loop only and work surface picots for seafoam.

If I remember right, you have to figure out where you want the base of each ripple to start. Those get a slip stitch. Next you work a sc, hdc, dc, tr, and if you have more stitches keep going until you have a really tall stitch in the middle (you may want to work those real tall ones linked to avoid holes.) Step back down and go on to the end of the row, then you should be able to start the ripple pattern.

I agree this might work great with anything but Homespun. It's hard to see the stitches you are working into, as mentioned above.  And, I swear I've seen something like what you are describing (beach, then waves) but I don't know where it was...

Ha!  This wasn't it, but it's fun http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/at-the-beach-afghan

Archived