Question about foundation chain

nrlwrites

Question

Hi, I'm an intermediate crocheter by which I mean I know how to do a lot of things but my work is messy (working on getting it better). I'm self-taught and I'm left-handed which makes things more difficult (I do crochet left-handed). I am currently on a Tunisian crochet kick and something I just did that made me wonder about regular crochet.

When you crochet into the foundation chain for the first row it's often difficult to get the stitches under the first chain. I know a lot of designers recommend chaining with a larger hook so the chains are bigger but I don't like doing that. Is there a good reason not to do just that first row into the rib of the chain stitch?

6 answers to this question

I think you are speaking of needing a larger hook to crochet into the back bump.  It does look nicer, but it also pulls the chain tight which is why the larger hook is suggested.

I was taught to insert my hook under the top loop of the chain (with chain facing me--I'm not sure if that's what you mean by the rib).  It doesn't look too awful, and it also doesn't pull the chain tight.  I find it much quicker, and used it exclusively for years until I learned about the back bump.

Thanks for the response-- that's not quite what I was asking but you gave the correct terminology to ask what I really meant. :)  I was taught to insert the hook the same way, but I'm wondering if it's okay to crochet the first row into the back bump.  If I do so will it screw things up? It seems much easier to me then struggling to try to get the hook under the chain, but I'm thinking there must be something wrong with that or everyone would do it.  

Welcome to the ville!

There are three ways to work into the beginning chain, they give slightly different looks, and you can use the one you like best.

See this recent thread for discussion http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/153251-beginner-help-please/

Links to references re the different ways start in post five

Archived