Beginner help, please!

richardc84

Question

I just started to learn how to crochet on Monday and I managed to get this far. I think that I'm doing okay, and I seem to have an issue with uneven loop sizes. Also, the edges are a little weird. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks!

Also, After finishing the first chain, I was advised to start a Single crochet on what is called the "top loop," but I've seen a video where someone starts on the "bottom loop." Is there a difference?

Thanks, again!

post-73529-0-85358800-1418524679_thumb.jpg

post-73529-0-46313800-1418524706_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

I think you are doing great for learning just a week ago!  I think even stitches just takes practice, and muscle memory perhaps.

When I first learned eons ago, I crocheted really tight, and discovered I was working at the tip of my hook and not using the shaft to size my stitches properly.  I focused on making sure I was being consistent in how I formed the stitches on the hook and it helped quite a bit.  I don't mean to say that your stitches look tight, but just that it might help to slow down a bit and watch how you are making the stitches.  

Regarding the starting chain, I also was taught to use the top loop; and I think if I were teaching someone, I would do the same thing for starting out, but explain the options.  What's interesting is that I found that really old crochet manuals, from the mid-1800s, say to use the top loop too (no, I'm not quite that old).  

The reason that I'd suggest a beginner use the top chain is that it keeps the tension of the chain neutral.  The downside is that it doesn't match the top of the stitches.

The advantage of using the bottom bump is that it matches the top of the stitches.  The disadvantage is it's a little fiddlier (IMO) to use, and it pulls the chain up tight and makes it harder to get the hook into the next row of stitches.  You can get around that somewhat by using a bigger hook for the chain only, then going down to the 'right' sized hook for your project.

Hang in there!

Quick reference for you http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/111.html?www=1&lbc=&language=

I think it is essential to own at least one good reference book, so you can get an overview of all the how to's and know the answer before it becomes a question, so to speak. You might want to check your local public library and see what they have available, or browse at barnes and noble or someplace to find a book you like. My number one suggestion would be Crochet Answer Book by E Eckman, but there are lots of other good books as well.

Thanks! I just purchased the book that you recommended. I did look through the books at B&N, but I felt that none of the books explained things well enough. I will take a second look, though (especially because I believe I'm getting one of their giftcards for Secret Santa).

Thanks everyone!

Quick reference for you http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/111.html?www=1&lbc=&language=

I think it is essential to own at least one good reference book, so you can get an overview of all the how to's and know the answer before it becomes a question, so to speak. You might want to check your local public library and see what they have available, or browse at barnes and noble or someplace to find a book you like. My number one suggestion would be Crochet Answer Book by E Eckman, but there are lots of other good books as well.

For single crochet you do one chain as the turning chain, and it does not count as a stitch, so you do not stitch into it.

For half double the turning chain is two chains, because this will be about the height of a hdc stitch. Almost always the ch2 will count as a stitch so on the next row you do stitch into it.

Hello, Everyone! Thanks for the advice! I realized that I've been doing it wrong. I thought that I only skip the stitch that has the yarn going through it, but I was supposed to skip the other stich as well. When I chain stitch at the beginning of the row, when I make my way back around, is the last stitch for that row going to be the chain stitch (single loop)? I tried to do a few rows of half double stiches and that's where I realized that I made a mistake.

When I crochet, I always flips the chain over and go into the back hump, camel hump, spine, (whatever you prefer to call it). That is a little fiddley at first, but it makes the bottom look so pretty and even. 

Ditto--- I prefer this as well..Another thing I notice for me if I want the project done w/ a say an H hook then I use a I hook to start the chain and then first row then switch it just looks better..I do this with every project so I don't get a too tight first chain.....:O)

Also another newbie must is COUPONS......always buy yarn using coupons saves you $$$$

When I crochet, I always flips the chain over and go into the back hump, camel hump, spine, (whatever you prefer to call it). That is a little fiddley at first, but it makes the bottom look so pretty and even. 

Congrads on learning to crochet..:O) trust me give about 30 days and you'll get addicted..:O) and will be whipping things out like crazy...I started off small little projects like wash clothes (that way if they get out of wack while learning I as the only one who knew) then I did some hats as well (trust me I go so addicted I have a huge stack of wash clothes..and hats (they got donated to the homeless shelter here)...

Welcome to the ville!

Your edges don't look bad to me.

Not sure exactly what you mean by uneven loops. If you find that your stitches are not uniform, that will improve with practice.

There are several places on the chain stitch that you can work into. Let me come back and post an explanation for you.

Archived