Selling work made from pattern

creativeK

Question

7 answers to this question

If you are in the USA, yes you can sell what you make from a pattern.

The pattern words are copyrighted and protected, but the work made from those words are not.  Sometimes designers put some product output restrictions on their patterns but you aren't legally bound by that in the US.  On entertainment news shows you often see companies creating knockoff gowns the day after an awards show for a fraction of the designer price, it's perfectly legal.

An exception would be if you found a pattern for a trademarked thing, like a cartoon character or sports team logo.  This is something else entirely, and definitely a no-no.  You can make a trademarked thing for your own use, but  not to sell.

Be aware that it's really difficult to make a living at this unless you are making something trendy and can get your work consigned in an upscale store.  Maybe it depends on the area; from what I see locally, folks are making their yarn money back plus a few bucks, barely.  People don't want to spend more than what Walmart would charge for a similar mass produced item, and I have the impression many (customers) also unfortunately place less value on 'homemade' items.  We know better, of course...

Some patterns will indicate that you may not sell items made from It and are only for personal use and charitable items, however people will sell them anyway.

Roe

The licensing terms of using a pattern is usually a part of the copyright notice.  The copyright notice tells you that the pattern is the intellectual property of someone else.  The licensing part tells you what you can do with it.  Here's the technicality - you have to have access to or be able to read the licensing terms before you purchase or use said pattern in order for it to count. 

The other technicality is that there really are no copyright police.  You'll run into a lot of people that like to think they are and vehemently demand compliance while they really don't know what they're going on about.  It's just a situation that's better off being avoided altogether.

It really comes down to whether or not you're willing to follow the wishes of the designer.

If you are in the USA, yes you can sell what you make from a pattern.

The pattern words are copyrighted and protected, but the work made from those words are not.  Sometimes designers put some product output restrictions on their patterns but you aren't legally bound by that in the US.  On entertainment news shows you often see companies creating knockoff gowns the day after an awards show for a fraction of the designer price, it's perfectly legal.

An exception would be if you found a pattern for a trademarked thing, like a cartoon character or sports team logo.  This is something else entirely, and definitely a no-no.  You can make a trademarked thing for your own use, but  not to sell.

Be aware that it's really difficult to make a living at this unless you are making something trendy and can get your work consigned in an upscale store.  Maybe it depends on the area; from what I see locally, folks are making their yarn money back plus a few bucks, barely.  People don't want to spend more than what Walmart would charge for a similar mass produced item, and I have the impression many (customers) also unfortunately place less value on 'homemade' items.  We know better, of course...

I'm a begginer and still wonder if I have chance on ETSY

Archived