help with this afghan pattern

creativeK

Question

I'm making a bubble baby afghan and I'm not understanding row 2

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

Row 1: Sc and 2 dc (all three in same stitch) in second chain from hook. *Skip two chains and continue sc/2 dc in third stitch(pattern stitch)* across. For last stitch skip two chains and just sc in last stitch, ch 2 and turn.

Row 2: 2 dc in sc from last row (first stitch). Do sc, dc, dc in each sc from previous row (so it's basically skip two stitches and sc, dc, dc in next across). End with one sc in top of turning chain and repeat to desired size. At the end of row 2 and each row thereafter, chain 2 and turn.

14 answers to this question

You are making 3 stitches in the single crochet from the row before. 

So when you turn it, and are looking at it, can you see the 2 dcs and the sc in each stitch you did in row 1? you are skipping the 2 dc you had made and just using the sc... and putting the 3 stitches: sc, dc, dc into that sc.

is that any help at all for you? 

I have been trying to find a video tutorial to help you but can't find one. :/ I have a horrid migraine tonight so my apologies if my explanation didn't help or make sense. :( Hopefully, someone will come on tomorrow that can help better. 

You are making 3 stitches in the single crochet from the row before. 

So when you turn it, and are looking at it, can you see the 2 dcs and the sc in each stitch you did in row 1? you are skipping the 2 dc you had made and just using the sc... and putting the 3 stitches: sc, dc, dc into that sc.

is that any help at all for you? 

so the sc would be the third st you see instead of the first like in Row 1? it's reverse?

Yes it will be reversed when you turn it and are working back in the other direction.

If you are reading the pattern and trying to understand it, it would probably be easier to go ahead and start actually working it. Once you finish row one and turn it will be obvious what order the sts appear in.

One helpful thing is if you look for a pattern that has directions for making a gauge swatch...this is a small sample of the stitch patern, so you can practice it and see if you like it.

Yes it will be reversed when you turn it and are working back in the other direction.

If you are reading the pattern and trying to understand it, it would probably be easier to go ahead and start actually working it. Once you finish row one and turn it will be obvious what order the sts appear in.

One helpful thing is if you look for a pattern that has directions for making a gauge swatch...this is a small sample of the stitch patern, so you can practice it and see if you like it.

yeah I'm making a gauge swatch right now,so far I finished row 1,working on row 2

I know you are new to crochet, have you made a piece or swatch with all or mostly DC?  (I'm using US terminology).

Do you understand how a turning chain is used?  Both sentences of what you highlighted have to do with the turning chain.

When turn a piece of crochet worked flat, you chain a number of stitches to bring you up to the height of the stitches in the next row.  For all stitches but SC, the turning chain takes the place of the first stitch in the next round, and therefore usually the last (topmost) chain in the turning chain is stitched into in the following row.

End with one sc in top of turning chain means that the last sc in the row you are making will use the topmost chain of the turning chain of the row below.

At the end of row 2 and each row thereafter, chain 2 and turn this is creating the turning chain

Here is a tutorial - scroll down a bit past halfway for DC

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/basicstitches.html

I know you are new to crochet, have you made a piece or swatch with all or mostly DC?  (I'm using US terminology).

Do you understand how a turning chain is used?  Both sentences of what you highlighted have to do with the turning chain.

When turn a piece of crochet worked flat, you chain a number of stitches to bring you up to the height of the stitches in the next row.  For all stitches but SC, the turning chain takes the place of the first stitch in the next round, and therefore usually the last (topmost) chain in the turning chain is stitched into in the following row.

End with one sc in top of turning chain means that the last sc in the row you are making will use the topmost chain of the turning chain of the row below.

At the end of row 2 and each row thereafter, chain 2 and turn this is creating the turning chain

Here is a tutorial - scroll down a bit past halfway for DC

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/basicstitches.html

so basically at the very end of the row I sc one and then chain 2 and then work row 3?

Archived