Plasti Dip for cushioned handles?

MaryPat

I was in Harbor Frieight and saw this product on Friday. It's for dipping your tools in to create a soft plastic grip. I thought it might work on crochet hooks. The directions state that one can dip multiple times (with drying inbetween) to create the layer as thick as one wants.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this.

http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html

well I used to use that on my tools years ago and the edge is where your problems arise as the plastidip is usualy very thin there.

Once you have coated your implement (at least 1/8 th inch thick) let the implent hang to dry over night then trim the edge with a sharp knife to make it have a square edge. After trimming take some electrical tape (any color but black as black slips and leaves a black residue) and wrap you imlement 1/2 a tape width from the square edge 2 to 3 times making sure you stretch the tape while you are wraping to insure that your edge does not flake up with use.

ALSO dip your stuff outside since the odor lingers for a while after you dip your tools.

Robert

Thank you for the tips. I saw the recommendation about not using black. Would every color of tape leave a glue residue?

well I used to use that on my tools years ago and the edge is where your problems arise as the plastidip is usualy very thin there.

Once you have coated your implement (at least 1/8 th inch thick) let the implent hang to dry over night then trim the edge with a sharp knife to make it have a square edge. After trimming take some electrical tape (any color but black as black slips and leaves a black residue) and wrap you imlement 1/2 a tape width from the square edge 2 to 3 times making sure you stretch the tape while you are wraping to insure that your edge does not flake up with use.

ALSO dip your stuff outside since the odor lingers for a while after you dip your tools.

Robert

Never heard of heat shrink tubing. Is this a common item in a hardware store?

the otherr colors of vinyl tape use a lighter clear adhesive that comes off easier and does not slip as much , another option you can use is heat shrink tubing

Does it come in different diameters? I have something in mind that would require a tube about 1.5" in diameter.

for heat shrink tube go to your local builders supply or electronics store.

• 2 months later...

After seeing a bit for the usage of plasti-dip during a car restoration show I thought it might work for hooks to give a nice grip and it might reduce strain on fingers so I came right here and did a search in hooks and there you guys were talking about it...... My question is has anyone actually tried it yet for hooks and if so how do you like it, how did you actually do it, how long does it last and does it flake off or any other concerns?

Sounds like a great idea and would love to try it so any thing you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy

Archived