Peacock Shawl question...

sewist55

Question

I’m trying to crochet the Peacock Shawl pattern shown here <http://www.crochetmagazine.com/crochet_project.php?id=20>, but I have a question.

Per the instructions, I’ve supposedly finished Row 4, but I’m only half way across the previous row. It looks like I should repeat the process again, but the instructions don’t say that.

Can anyone help?

Thanx,

Dee in FL

8 answers to this question

That's the way that I understood it too.

So looking at the piece, up to the point of finishing the Row 4 instructions as written (see below), it would appear that I should do an additional ch1, V-st in next dc, ch 1, shell in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, shell in next ch-2, turn. In my opinion, that would then make Row 4 look complete.

Quote Row 4: Sl st in each st across to first ch-2 sp, beg shell in first ch-2 sp, ch 1, V-st (see Special Stitches) in next dc, ch 1, shell in next ch-2 sp, turn.Unquote

I was just trying to figure out if there would be some reason that the designer would want you to split the design at this point and work it that way for a while. There's nothing in the overall description that says that, but Row 5 also appears to only contain enough stitches to complete part of a row.

I consider myself just a tish about a novice crocheter so maybe I'm missing something in the interpretation of the instructions???

I hate to give up on this project as I love the appearance of the finished shawl on the model.

Dee in FL

Row 4 is exactly the same as row 3, except the middle of row 3 is a single dc, the middle of row 4 is a v stitch into that single dc.  If you were only half way across the row, you'd be in the middle of the v.

Ignoring the ch-1 between stitches/stitch groups:

Row 1: 1 shell

Row 2: 2 shells -  however I think there is a wee typo.  Row 1 only has 1 chain-2 space, but row 2 has you working stitches into 2 ch-2 spaces.  I think the second shell should be made into the SAME ch-2 space, not the NEXT ch-2 space (which doesn't exist!).

Row 3: shell, dc, shell

Row 4: shell, v stitch, shell.

If you keep reading, the pineapple has a shell on each side, and gets wider by adding stitches in the middle.  Row 5 puts 10 DCs into the middle of the center v stitch in row 4, and so on.  The shells on each side sprout from the shell below.  

Granny Square and Mona, my mind feels like Swiss cheese right now because I've been busy as the dickens all day scrubbing floors. I'll try to grab some time this evening to sit down and read and work thru your message. I really appreciate y'all's input.

P.S. Mona, I would be glad to post a picture of my work so far, but I'm just not sure how to go about doing it.

Dee in FL

Archived