I keep splitting the thread

Alohaparenting

Question

I am crocheting with wool making a diaper for my new baby to be born this May:cheer

It is going okay... but I keep splitting the yarn with my hook, maybe I am using the wrong sized hook, or maybe keeping it too loose or too tight?

What I am doing wrong:think

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Not sure what type of wool you're using, but you should definitely check to make sure you are using a hook that is large enough for that wool, or try going up a hook size and see if that doesn't help. Also keeping your tension a bit looser (the loops should slide easily along the shaft of the hook) will help too. Good luck and congrats on your pending bundle of joy! This is the first time I've heard of using wool for diapers, lol! I used cloth ones for both my babies, didn't much care for the plastic disposable ones. But mine were cotton if I remember correctly (it's been many years!). I'm guessing you're planning on felting/fulling these?

okay, I will try both those suggestions, what is dk?

I :manyheart wool diapers! We use cotton, velour, silk, fleece, hemp, whatever is soft right next to the baby's skin to adsorb the mess, but the wool cover goes over that to waterproof. We felt and lanoline it1

:hook DK is Double Knit which is also called 8Ply and is normally worked on a 4mm hook or knitting needles.

:think Is this an overnap you are making?

:hook It can be that you are using the yarn from the wrong end so it un-twists as you go.

:hook Maybe that would be worth looking at.

:manyheart Have fun.

:hug Colleen

Archived