I don't understand this..

creativeK

Question

I'm trying to follow an Adult beanie pattern(starting as)

Rnd 1: MR, ch 2, 10 dc, join.
Rnd 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each st around, join. (20 DC)

,and I understand 'dc' but I don't understand this...

[2 dc in next stitch, dc 1] to [2 dc in next stitch,dc 5] (20 st to 70 sts)

and then it says [2 dc in next stitch, dc 13] (75)

what's the math here?

here's a link to the pattern http://www.crochetrochelle.com/2014/05/basic-dc-beanie-pattern.html

it's the second to last one

14 answers to this question

Most crocheted hats are made starting at the top of the head, making a flat circle with a circumference to match the head (or maybe a bit less for those that like them to stretch to fit), then work without increasing until the desired depth of the hat is reached.

Your pattern is unusual.  It is in US terms, but does not count the turning chain as a stitch.  No matter, we can work with that.

The math for a flat circle is start with a number of stitches (your pattern is unusual, it is typically 12 stitches for DC, you have 10, but whatever) and then add that number of stitches (10) for each round.

So, first round is 10

round 2, with 2 stitches into each 1, doubles the number to 20.

Now, to add 10, we put 2 stitches into 1 in every OTHER stitch (or you might say every SECOND stitch), to end up with 30.

To add 10 to the third round, we need to put 2 stitches into every THIRD stitch (increase, 1DC, 1DC, increase, 1DC, 1DC) etc.

To add 10 to the fourth round, it would be (increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC, increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC) etc.

See the pattern?  Each round you add 1 single stitch between the increases.

Most crocheted hats are made starting at the top of the head, making a flat circle with a circumference to match the head (or maybe a bit less for those that like them to stretch to fit), then work without increasing until the desired depth of the hat is reached.

Your pattern is unusual.  It is in US terms, but does not count the turning chain as a stitch.  No matter, we can work with that.

The math for a flat circle is start with a number of stitches (your pattern is unusual, it is typically 12 stitches for DC, you have 10, but whatever) and then add that number of stitches (10) for each round.

So, first round is 10

round 2, with 2 stitches into each 1, doubles the number to 20.

Now, to add 10, we put 2 stitches into 1 in every OTHER stitch (or you might say every SECOND stitch), to end up with 30.

To add 10 to the third round, we need to put 2 stitches into every THIRD stitch (increase, 1DC, 1DC, increase, 1DC, 1DC) etc.

To add 10 to the fourth round, it would be (increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC, increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC) etc.

See the pattern?  Each round you add 1 single stitch between the increases.

and I'm trying to understand still confused(I'm not super at math). you say the fourth round iwould be (increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC, increase, 1DC, 1DC, 1DC) etc. but it says 2 dc,dc 2

I'm sorry I just have trouble sometimes

Granny Square gave a great explanation of what is happening in this pattern.  

if you find that the way that pattern is written is confusing (I think it could be clearer) take a look at this one http://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2014/04/simple-double-crochet-hat.html  it is basically the same thing, but i find it to be easier to understand.

there is also a good hat making tutorial on Crochetcabana.  the formula for increasing to make a circle is here http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_howto.html

and then it explains how to make hats here http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

I think Granny Square is great  and  just  think she just  has a typo for the  round numbers, and you are right it should be 2dc 1 dc 1dc 2 dc for the fourth round.

:(  I'm sorry, you are right, I can't count. My sentence that started with "Now, to add 10..." was round 3, and where I said round 3 and 4 should have been round 4 and 5.  I'm sorry if I confused you even more!!

The original pattern did spell it out correctly. I was just trying to explain that the math was to add the same number of stitches in the first round, into each subsequent round.  Your pattern has a transition round of adding only 5 stitches at the last increase round (before working rounds without increasing), which has the effect of not adding quite as much circumference to the hat as the previous rows.

The Crochetcabana link is a good one, it explains it and tells you how to make a hat that fits, regardless of the yarn, hook or head size, or your own personal tension.  (You should measure the diameter of your hat after round 8, and your head, to see if the diameter x 3.14 achieves the head diameter you want.)  It also shows that (as a guideline) for SC you start with 6 stitches, for HDC 9, and DC 12.  Ten for DC, with a turning chain that doesn't count as a stitch, would probably work fine, too--I saw in another thread you were looking for a pattern that uses 12 stitches, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe a visual will help.  1 is 1 stitch, 2 means there is an increase (2 stitches into 1).  

Your circle will grow in sort of pie slices, each slice of the pie emanating from 1 stitch in the initial round, the gap between increases grows by 1 stitch in each round.  Below is 1 pie slice.  Round 8 interrupts the slice analogy, there are 10 slices for rounds 1- 7, round 8 is 5 pie slices because you are only adding 5 stitches to the circle in this round, not 10.

2 1

2 1 1

2 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1 1 (2 plus 5=7, times 10 pie slices = 70)

2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 (2 plus 13 = 15, times 5 pie slices = 75)

(as a guideline) for SC you start with 6 stitches, for HDC 9, and DC 12.  Ten for DC, with a turning chain that doesn't count as a stitch, would probably work fine, too--I saw in another thread you were looking for a pattern that uses 12 stitches, I wouldn't worry about it.

This discussion is very timely for me lol!  I was given some yarn and because of the local warming tree for hats and scarves i feel compelled to use it to make something  to hang on the tree.   So I am crocheting a hat with this worsted weight yarn that has no "bounce" to it at all.  First try, i used the 12 dc formula, and it worked but the top of the hat looked flat when it wasn't being worn.  So i ripped out the whole thing and started over with the 10 dc formula and it looks more rounded on top.  With a different yarn and hook the 12 st formula has worked for me, but it's all about having different methods in our crochet toolbox to call on as needed :hook

I was thinking there might need to be deviations for individual tensions and stitch heights, but it stands to reason that it would vary for different yarn properties, too.  I'm being reminded in a current (knitting) project that Caron Simply Soft is way stretchier than RHSS for example, and have been doing some ripping to compensate!

Maybe a visual will help.  1 is 1 stitch, 2 means there is an increase (2 stitches into 1).  

Your circle will grow in sort of pie slices, each slice of the pie emanating from 1 stitch in the initial round, the gap between increases grows by 1 stitch in each round.  Below is 1 pie slice.  Round 8 interrupts the slice analogy, there are 10 slices for rounds 1- 7, round 8 is 5 pie slices because you are only adding 5 stitches to the circle in this round, not 10.

2 1

2 1 1

2 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1

2 1 1 1 1 1 (2 plus 5=7, times 10 pie slices = 70)

2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 (2 plus 13 = 15, times 5 pie slices = 75)

I'm getting it. but where does the 13 come in? isnt tht a big jump?

It is a big jump, but that is round 8. And starting with round 9 there are no increases at all. You only increase to get the hat top to the size you want, then you stop increasing.

Are you making the hat? I think if you do it, things will be clearer than if you are trying to understand it by just reading the pattern.

^ what Magiccrochetfan said.  

Round 8 is a transition round between increasing at a constant rate, and no increases, which is done to adjust the fit as I mentioned in post 6.  

If you look at the next larger sized pattern at your link, round 8 has all 10 increases like the earlier rounds.  Putting in fewer in this round for your size makes the hat circumference a little smaller, per the designer the size you are making is 22" around, the next size with 10 increases in row 8 is 23" around.

I really agree with just following the pattern.  Some patterns have mistakes in them, however this one is fine .  It will make sense when you are actually doing it.  I've been crocheting for a long time and have learned to follow the instructions (at least for a bit) even though they look wrong, sometimes I'm surprised that they create something I didn't expect, or if they really are wrong I can better figure out what needs to be done to fix the problem.  Don't be afraid to rip! 

the triple crochet rows will look different than the double crochet rows.  you will have to do some rows that way to see if you like it.  if not, you can rip back and redo it in double.  

you could try different combinations, like do a row of triple, then a row of double, a row of triple, row of double.  will make a sort of stripe texture that might be nice.  

as far as the size/circumference of the hat, triple will work the same as double.  

Archived