yarn subsitutes using my growing stash

lovecraftri

Question

Greetings Friends;

I have finally resisted buying more yarn without having a project in mind. What I am attempting to do is use my stash to substitute ww 4  for chunky 5 and/or bulky 6.

Have any of you fiber artists successfully crocheted hats, scarves, etc. My main concern is the feel and drape, for instance of a scarf,  so I would avoid acrylic yarn. Thanks for your help.

5 answers to this question

If the 2 :yarn s are the same brand or the same fiber content you can use them together. I've used Caron and Red Heart in then same project, though not double stranded. If you are trying to use stash, join the Stash Busters CAL.

Ellie 13

Yarn weight measurements cover a wide range.  I've been able to use DK weight, for instance, for a US worsted weight pattern.  Some acrylic brands are very nearly bulky weight, such as Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Pounders.  

You said you wanted to avoid acrylic, but you are using your stash--if you have acrylic in your stash there's nothing wrong with it for hats and scarves at all, some is a little stiff but you can use a bigger hook for a nice drape.  And, it's easy care if you are thinking of gifts.

Be careful when doubling yarns, as it produces a stiffer fabric than 1 strand of the yarn weight that you are aiming for.   You may have to do a lot of experimenting with different hook sizes to get the correct gauge, but the correct gauge may not have the optimal drape.

Scarves don't really depend on gauge, most patterns are easy to amend to get the drape you want.  For hats, here is a website that gives you a recipe to get hats to fit, with or without a pattern.  Most crochet hats start from the top, it is all about measuring the diameter of the starting circle to determine fit.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html  scroll down to 'the basics"

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html  hat sizes for men, women, kids

Archived