Cowls...

#1Crochetfan

Question

Is there a standard measurement for sizing cowls?

Would 25" around be too small?

Do any of you have a preference as to how tight or loose around the neck, you like a cowl to fall.

I'm very curious because I wish to make a few as gifts but don't own or wear any, myself.

I am open to as many opinions as I can get, so thanks in advance.:)

4 answers to this question

Well, generally, I like the ones I wear closer to the neck, so the 25 would be good for me, but some double it up, so, I don't know for sure, I would certainly check out some free patterns on ravelry, or here at the ville, and if they show where it falls, and how many inches it was would help you..Good luck!!

I agree with Katy, 25" will be pretty close to the neck.    Most head circumference is 20-23" or so, and my concern is messing up my hair, even more than it usually is lol,  when taking it off (I get hot very easily so would be taking a cowl off when I go indoors, even if it is cold outside).  Also agree its a good idea to review patterns and see which you like the length of in photos, check dimensions in the pattern.  

I don't think I've actually made a cowl.  Have made some neckwarmers and they were head circumference, so tight to the neck.  

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=cowl %2B button

Above is a search on 'cowls + buttons', a lot of cowls worn close to the neck are button-up.  These are nice because you can dress them up or make them funky depending on the button choice.

This one is pretty clever-'from rectangular to spectacular' :lol

http://button-it-up-interchangeable-scarf.blogspot.com/

Thanks- Katy, Magiccrochetfan and Granny Square for your helpful feedback.

I think I will make one in a 25" length and then try one longer and see which I think look the best.

I love and appreciate the links, Granny Square.:). I see that there really isn't a standard length but that people have their own preference. I think doubling it up, Katy, is probably the best compromise. The long one I make, I will make long enough, where it can be doubled and one circle can fall close to the neck, if desired. After all, you are correct, Magiccrochetfan, that often people don't like to mess up their hair and if it is too close to the head circumference, that would be a problem.

Thank you all so much for the tips.:)

Archived