Found a stitch/pattern for Celtic Weave

Laraine

Question

I found this free pattern and I would love to try this over this coming winter.  I have a question.  This is the free pattern from Ravelry. http://pattern-paradise.com/2014/07/14/free-crochet-pattern-celtic-weave-blanket/

I did post a follow up question there, but I'd like your advise as well. :manyheart

Now, the author was asked about how much yarn would she need for a 60"x60"  She was not sure and guessed about 1500 yards.  Looking at the pattern, I am guessing about double that in a worsted weight.

What are you thoughts. :think

Thank you for any input. 

xo

Laraine

7 answers to this question

Post stitches are yarn hogs, 1500 yards seems pretty low to me too.

Also agree re: "it's gonna be heavy/thick"; you could either use the lighter weight yarn or a bigger hook to make it drapier.  

Here is a basketweave blanket by our own CrochetKim, it's 52 x 68 and uses 3744 - 4368 yards.  52 x 68 is almost the same number of sq in as 60 x 60 (3536 vs 3600).  I'm thinking a basketweave versus your pattern are pretty equivalent post stitch wise. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basket-weave-afghan

In the Leisure Arts "Aran Afghans to Crochet" by Bonnie Barker, the patterns call for 10-12 skeins of #4-weight yarn such as Red Heart Super Saver, 3640-4368 yards, depending on the stitches used. The heavier stitches such as the Celtic Weave require the higher amounts of yarn.

Also, Lion Brand has a yardage chart to refer to. Maybe it will be of some help.

Thank you Granny. :waving   If I do make this afghan, I will be sure I have plenty of yarn.  I hate running out!!  I think what I'll do is a sample in DK with a hook larger than I would normally use and see if I like the look. :ty

You're welcome Laraine. Have fun on the project. :dance

That's a great chart Reni!  :tup  Thank you!!

Archived