I am not understanding the section to shape the back armholes in the pattern below

Beckypatt

Question

The section below is the part of a pattern I am having trouble understanding

Shape the back's armholes with this stitch pattern:

Next Row (right side): Sl st to center dc of first (first, first, second, second) shell, ch 1, sc in dc, work in established pat across to within last 1 (1, 1, 2, 2) shell(s), sc in center dc of shell (9 [10, 11, 10, 11] shells), turn, leaving rem sts unworked.

Work even in established pat for 13 (13, 13, 15, 15) more

Becky

13 answers to this question

Hi this is Becky , I did not realize that I could not post the pattern. The pattern I am having trouble with is found in crochet for dummies, the tank with shell stitch. Step two is where I am stuck. I need help desperately

The section below is the part of a pattern I am having trouble understanding

Shape the back's armholes with this stitch pattern:

Next Row (right side): Sl st to center dc of first (first, first, second, second) shell, ch 1, sc in dc, work in established pat across to within last 1 (1, 1, 2, 2) shell(s), sc in center dc of shell (9 [10, 11, 10, 11] shells), turn, leaving rem sts unworked.

Work even in established pat for 13 (13, 13, 15, 15) more  Becky

I've written what I would do  and I hope you can get it.

you end with a row 2 and turn, then slit stitch in each stitch until you are in the 3rd dc of the shell that corresponds to the size you are making, sc in that dc and work the pattern across untill you are in the 3rd dc of the shell that corresponds to your size and turn, then work the pattern rows doing row 2 then 3 etc. until   you have the length needed.  this shapes the armholes like it shows in the picture.

Sari sue, thank you for your post . Am I understanding that I just slip stitch all the way across to the appropriate shell? Anyone that can help, please jump in. I am so frustrated because I was on a roll until this step and cannot move forward. Becky

Am I understanding that I just slip stitch all the way across to the appropriate shell?

Correct.  The slip stitching will 'scoot you over' to where you need to be to work the stitches for the back, and the slipped over stitches will end up under the arm.  

The center back, between the armholes, will not be worked the full distance that you had been working up to this point.  This indent forms the underarm area on either side.

That is why near the end of the row, as Sarisue described, you 'stop short' at the equivalent spot, leaving a number of stitches unworked.

Yep, I "third" what Sarisue and Granny Square are telling you.

Just remember when you get to the middle of the shell where you slip stitch to- you ch1, sc into that same middle dc and then continue yo work pattern.

When you get to the end you will leave your shell or shells unworked based on the size you are working on.:) It should mirror the other side somewhat.

Well, at the step you are in, you are forming the armholes. I'm not sure if the shaping of your front piece will be all you need. A normal top has the front piece seamed to the back piece,at the shoulders and under the armholes to form where your arms will go. Your pattern should have instructions somewhere.:)

I finally found the patternn on the Dummies site, couldn't find it yesterday.  http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-crochet-a-tank-top-with-shell-stitch.html

in the schematic you can see that the armholes are lower than the neckline.  (and I beleive the neckline in back is higher than it is in front).  So anyway, after you create the indent for the armholes, you have a section where you work across the whole area between the armholes with 9, 10,, or 11 shells, for 13 or 15 rows.  Then when you get to step 3 you are starting to make the slanted area that you can see at the base of the strap.  

It might be worth checking your local library for the book, i am not certain but I think there may be additional info in the book.  

I am back again on this tank I am working, this has not been easy for me. The section I am working on:

To shape the back right neck. Can someone look at the pattern (tank top with shell pattern- crochet patterns for dummies)

I do not understand when it states to work even in established pattern for four more rows.

Help!

at that point i think you are msking the strap.  so you have only a few shells in the row.  work even in established pattern just means to not increase or decrease, just keep the same width and do the stitch pattern you've been doing  for 4 rows.  the same as rows 2 and 3 of step one.

Archived