Can This Be Repaired?

yarnjeannie

Question

I made a shawl to send to someone and washed in on the delicate cycle - made a mistake by drying it along with a previous load of washed items.  The underwire worked its way out of a bra and got caught in the back of the dryer, twisting the other end into the shawl.  Now I have this huge hump in the shawl that I can't flatten out.  Is there any way to fix it?  If not, I guess I'll keep this one for myself and make another to give away.post-14127-0-35639000-1401030759_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-89360500-1401030784_thumb.jpgpost-14127-0-23507700-1401030806_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Washing it again and drying it brought it down a little bit, but there is still a noticeable lump.  I think I will have to make another to send out.  It was just a simple half-granny, so it won't take long to make another.  I can keep this one.  Washing it twice did make it nice and soft.

Well, I've washed and dried the shawl 3 times now and although the shawl looks much better, there is a noticeable hump (or valley, depending on which side of the shawl you are viewing).  Probably much more noticeable to me than to others.  The fact that the wire caught in the yarn and then it twisted it repeatedly, tighter and tighter, while the dryer drum was spinning, stretched out the yarn beyond the point where it would spring back.  So I will keep this shawl and love it!  I'll make another for the person this was meant for.

Archived