All About Cotton

Jayashiangel

Question

6 answers to this question

I made a cotton thread shawl years ago with white #3 thread. I laundered it in the washing machine on gentle/cold water and blocked it instead of the dryer. It turned out beautiful. I've not made one in cotton like Peaches & Cream though so I can't advise on that type.

Here is a past thread on Crochetville from 07/2010 that has a few tips that may help: Cotton Shawl???

Unless you were planning to use a lightweight yarn, or even thread, I think it'd be too heavy. I think something with light fingering weight or lighter would be fine, but something worsted like Peaches & Creme would definitely be too heavy. 

Edited to add: It may also depend a bit on the pattern you plan to use. Something that's going to be more solid you definitely want to stick with something really lightweight/thread, but if it's going to be an open, lacy pattern a little heavier (again I'd not venture above light fingering weight) might be ok. 

I made a worsted weight cotton shawl last Autumn for the Thanksgiving / Halloween time frame. I made it in light green, peach and yellow, to be worn over a solid black outfit. It looked great!

It's a rectangle. The final measurements are 13.5" from top to bottom, and 48" from end to end. I did a simple pattern that looks like filet crochet, but it really isn't. I worked the long way, from end to end. I did:

To Start:  Ch desired length.

Row 1:  Sc in 2nd ch from hk and in each ch across. Ch 3, turn.

Row 2:  Dc in next st, ch 1, sk next st. (Dc in next 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st) across to last 2 sts. Dc in last 2 sts. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3:  Sc in each st and ch 1 sp across. Ch 3, turn.

Rep Rows 2 and 3 until shawl is almost as wide (from top to bottom) as you want.

Finish with sc as a last row, and across both short ends.

Add any edging you like. I added a simple edging all the way around:  Sc in next st. (Ch 4, sk 2 sts, sc in next st) around.

This shawl is not overly warm or overly heavy. I think if I had made it into a long triangular shawl it would be considerably heavier and uncomfortable.

Archived