need help

Addicted2patterns

Question

I am trying to make a table runner. I got stuck on this particular part and when I did it, didn't seem like it looked right. Any suggestions? Anything would be appreciative. Thanks.

Round 1:

Ch 1, 6 sc over tr, * sc in next st, 2 sc in next

space, sc in next st, sc in next space; [ch 5, sc in 5th ch from hook

– picot made] 5 times; sc in sc made in space,

sc in same space, sc in next st, 2 sc in next space, sc in

next st **, 7 sc in next corner space; repeat from * around,

end at **; sc in next space; join with a slip st to first sc.

Round 2:

Slip st in next 4 sc, * ch 7, skip next picot, sc in

next picot, ch 11 for corner, skip next picot, sc in next picot,

ch 7, skip next picot, skip next 6 sc **, slip st in next 5 sc;

repeat from * around, end at **; join with a slip st to first

slip st.

I have also attached the whole pattern.

---pattern file removed----

9 answers to this question

which part are you stuck on?  the picot that you bolded?  

what looks wrong about it?  you may need to post a photo so we can see it.  It may not look right until you get some put together and blocked so that the spaces open up.  

site link for reference http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/sweet-clover-table-runner

I had to remove the pattern that was uploaded to the original post. It's copyright infringement to post a copyrighted pattern here without permission from the copyright holder; this applies equally to both patterns that are for sale and patterns that are free.

Instead of uploading a PDF of a pattern or typing all the instructions into a post, please post a link to the pattern instead. Then we'll be able to help you without having to worry about legal issues due to copyright infringement.

Oh shoot, I am sorry about that Amy.

I just wanted to know if I do all the picot stitches in a row or do I connect them to previous stitches. The picture of the pattern does not have a close up so I cannot use that to help see what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks.

It seems to me like you do the picot five times and with the last one, you sc into the sc you made into the space. At least, that is how the pattern reads. Normally picots are slip stitched. I would go with the pattern and see how it works out on the following row.:)

This picot is going to look sort of like a flower, 5 loopy 'petals' sprouting from 1 stitch.

I've seen picots finished both with slip sts and scs, maybe the designer chose a sc for this one because it's anchoring more of a load that a simple shorter single picot.

Ok, so then would I make 1 picot then sc it to the first square and continue to do so five times? I tried making all 5 at once but it did not look right. I want to make this but I am having such a difficult time with it. I had someone try to figure it out but wasn't able to concentrate as it was a knitting/crocheting circle.

Just trust the pattern and do exactly what is says: sc in the next space, then you will ch5 and sc in the 5th chain from the hook. This makes the first picot. Then ch5 again, sc in the 5th chain from the hook. That makes the second picot. Repeat until you have worked all 5 picots. Then once you have made all 5 picots, sc in the very first sc that you made in the space before you began making the picots. 

Just trust the pattern and do exactly what is says: sc in the next space, then you will ch5 and sc in the 5th chain from the hook. This makes the first picot. Then ch5 again, sc in the 5th chain from the hook. That makes the second picot. Repeat until you have worked all 5 picots. Then once you have made all 5 picots, sc in the very first sc that you made in the space before you began making the picots.

I love this answer.

I have been writing patterns for a quite a few years and crocheting for almost 60 years and sometimes still, I have to pick up my hook and do it, before I can see it.

I had a horror customer on Etsy, who would not even try the pattern, because she could not 'visualise' it.

She just would not even try to do it.

It was a pattern for a baby sweater that you did the yoke as a flat rectangle and joined under the arms to work in rounds for the armholes. A pretty common technique, I would think.

I love this answer.

I have been writing patterns for a quite a few years and crocheting for almost 60 years and sometimes still, I have to pick up my hook and do it, before I can see it.

I had a horror customer on Etsy, who would not even try the pattern, because she could not 'visualise' it.

She just would not even try to do it.

It was a pattern for a baby sweater that you did the yoke as a flat rectangle and joined under the arms to work in rounds for the armholes. A pretty common technique, I would think.

Yes, I think that often we try to visualize how a pattern ought to be worked before we do it, and if something doesn't make sense to us on paper we then over-think it and wind up making it seem far more difficult than it actually is before we have even attempted it. If we pick up our hook and yarn and "just do it" a lot of times it works out and suddenly it all "clicks" and makes perfect sense. 

Archived