Need help to "undo" and "redo" a sweater

DianeK

Question

I just finished crocheting a sweater for my 1 year old granddaughter, only to find that it is too short for her. It was made with a band of ribbing on the bottom and then the pattern worked (bottom to top) from there. The pattern was made with clusters of half double crochets and each row was a different color (5 colors in all). I would like to take the ribbing band off the bottom, make a new band and add 5 rows to that, and then attach that to the original sweater. I don't know how to keep all the loops from unraveling on the sweater once I take that band off. I cannot work top down, as the pattern would look upside down then. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

I think this is going to be a challenge to do, especially the part where you attach the new clusters to the old.   I have never tried such a repair myself, but in honesty i have to say I would probably start over, or just call the existing sweater a "cropped" sweater.  But I may be too pessimistic.  here is a tutorial on alterations involving removing stitches and remaking https://sites.google.com/site/crochetalterations/home  

good luck with it, let us know how it turns out  :)

I've never tried such a repair either - I don't think I'm quite that adventurous! I'd probably call it a cropped sweater; the crop top trend is making a comeback right now anyway. Or if more length was really desired I'd probably just expand on the ribbed portion. Another option might be adding a lacy panel below the ribbed portion - might be cute, I think. 

The link that magiccrochetfan posted is very helpful, I have it bookmarked for future reference. =) 

I wouldn't do it.  You worked from the band up.  You can pull/cut that out but put a running thread through the loops of the row above so that you don't lose the loops.

What I would do would be turn the sweater upside down and just work the same stitch pattern on the bottom of it.  It's the bottom band - it'll look like you did it on purpose to add texture to it.

Thanks for all your advice. My granddaughter did wear the sweater, I do think the pattern is a cropped sweater, but it looks too small because her little "Buddha belly" makes the front rise up! What I forgot to mention is that after the 5 rows of different colored cluster stitches, there are 3 rows of white single crochet. So I would not have to join clusters to clusters - just clusters to a row of single crochet. I dread ripping out the whole top and sleeves. Going to try to sample on scrap yarn to see what happens. I really don't like the idea of adding onto the bottom, upside down and after the ribbing.

I will check out the link from Magiccrochetfan. Thanks!

Here is a picture of the sweater.

post-71076-0-63454900-1394555565_thumb.jpg

I'd  remove the sleeves and take it apart from the neck down, and add length to the top, moving the armholes up.  You shouldn't have to rip back farther than the neckline. If you have to fiddle a little with the stitch pattern or color scheme in the yoke area, you might be able to work out a way to make it a 'design feature'. 

Was it worked front, back, 2 arms?  This would make it easier. 

If it was worked in the round to the arms, you could make a little seam under the arms to close the armholes that will now be too big (shouldn't look too bad).

Ripping out from the bottom is something you will run away screaming from after a few stitches, it is a real pain and messy with all the loose loops.

Yeah.  You don't rip - you cut.  Because trying to frog backwards is a freaking nightmare.

I would still use the running thread to you don't drop any of the stitches.

I think I would frog one stitch at a time and sc the loops/legs as you go so you don't lose any.  You really don't want the those stitches coming undone.  Do the longer border and then sew it on.

It may not look terrific but I agree with Rosered in turning it upside down and continuing to match the band. Since there are different colors, maybe you can do the band in powder blue or off white and continue a band the same way, around each sleeve in the same manner. It would add interest to the design and not look so much like a goof. I wouldn't rip at all, and I would chalk it up as a learning experience with this particular pattern.

Archived