I need some help!

Montana Mommy

Question

A friend of mine who lives in Colorado has requested that I crochet a shawl for her.

I've never made a shawl, but here is a bit of her request:

"very loose knit/crocheted. something soft or fuzzy that drapes well. Dark rich colors...mostly black a must, maybe touches of purples, magentas..greens. Long. And fringe."

Does anyone know of a pattern that would go together quickly that I can use?

And does anyone have any yarn suggestions that would work well? I'm concerned that by the time I find the right yarn it won't be suitable for fringing. I had Lion Brand Homespun in mind, but I don't think that fringes overly well.

Suggestions? :think

5 answers to this question

I think Homespun would work well, there are a lot of patterns on lionbrand.com for shawls. I have made two prayer shawls and a scarf out of Homespun with fringe and the fringe is a bit tedious, but all you have to do is knot both the ends of the fringe before attaching to the shawl. I do mine at the beginning of my last skein and that way I know I'll have enough yarn for all the fringe. I use a cd case to make the fringe (very easy to cut using the hard edge as a guide.

I bet your shawl will come out just beautiful.

Here is the bestest link for oodles of shawls: LINK

More specifically is one thats sorta open but still looks snuggley: Here

As for the yarn why not blend some soft feeling rich colors...maybe Red Heart Symphany in a purple with a light weight black chenille....it could work.

Homespun does not make a pretty fringe at all, does it?

This was what I made my first shawl from

http://www.******/crochet/jusenosha.html

It's an easy pattern and I super love the shawl. Can't help on the yarn as I used some old yarn from ebay but It would work with alot of kinds.

th_42004_002.jpg

th_42004_008.jpg

I agree that RH Symphony would be great, but it doesn't come in black (that I know of) but something along the same lines would be great. It's light yet warm, drapes gorgeously in a loose stitch (I made a poncho out of the purple and it's my very favorite) and is sooooo soft =) Unfortunately, being over here without access to getting my hands on much yarn I really can't recommend a good sub. but hopefully someone will be able to.

My favorite shawl pattern is the Seraphina, though I am planning to try Holly's Butterfly Wing Shawl one day soon. To me, a shawl needs to lay on your shoulders and not fall off or need to be held on constantly, and the wing style just seems to work best for that. Those shawls also tend to be nice and long.

Good luck =)

Archived