Pattern help

Misty Lucas Cma

Question

I'm making the "baby girl sweater" from Red Heart. Pattern LW2251. The third row of the sleeve is an inc row and says "ch2, 2 hdc in first st, HDCin each hdc to last st, 2 hdc in last st, turn." It goes on to say "continue to inc 1 st each side every 2 rows 4 more times. Work evenly until piece measures 6.5 inch from beginning. To me this says to inc a bit the. Inc no more and continue until it measures 6.5". But the pic shows it to inc until the end.

post-70573-0-99531900-1393724718_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

I read it the same way. Work an increase row then an even row. Do this 4 more times. Then work even until the piece measures 6.5 inches from the beginning. Perhaps what they are trying to say is that at the end of the 4th time it should measure such if the gauge is correct?

Well, babies' arms aren't very long, maybe 9 rows of increases (5 rows are increased, plus a row between) will get you most of the way to the top of the sleeve?  This is a drop shoulder sleeve, not inset, so the top of the sleeve is not at the top of the shoulder, but down the arm a bit.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/baby-girl-sweater

From what you wrote:

row 3: increase 1 stitch on either side

row 4: work even

row 5: increase 1 stitch on either side

row 6: work even

row 7: increase 1 stitch on either side

row 8: work even

row 9: increase 1 stitch on either side

row 10: work even

row 11: increase 1 stitch on either side

row 12+: work even until it's 6.5"

I would not increase more increases after this, otherwise the top of the sleeve will be too wide for the arm opening.  What I meant, and what Kraftynkrazy said, was by row 12 you may be very close to the 6.5" needed.

When it says to increase every x rows, it means 1 row out of x have an increase, the other(s) in each group of x is/are worked with no increases.  So what I wrote above shows the first increase in row 3, plus 4 more increases

Archived