starryblu

Question

hello everyone :)

i could use a little help with a yarn substitution. i am wanting to make this

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hound-pillow-toy

for my grandbabies. my grandson is 1 1/2, and granddaughter is 9 months, so they're both pretty small. (big family reunion next month, i haven't seen my granddaugher since she was born. she lives in iowa with my son and daughter-in-law, so this is a very big deal! YAY! lol guess that really doesn't pertain to the question, but i'm excited!)

it calls for TLC Amore yarn, which i'm reading is a boucle type yarn. i'm having trouble finding it on line, and particularly in the color suggested. how would a person substitute for this type of yarn? just any boucle, or should i use a particular type?

my yarn budget is very limited. the only yarn i have in my stash is regular Red Heart worsted weight, and Simply Soft by Caron. i prefer the Simply Soft, but didn't know if it would make a good substitute. Red Heart is of course, more affordable, but not quite so soft for a baby's pillow.

so tell me, if you were me, what yarn would YOU use for the project?

thanks for the input!!

6 answers to this question

The pattern actually uses Baby TLC yarn, which you can get from here http://www.redheart.com/yarn/baby-tlc

So it looks like you can use any WW yarn that has the color you want.  The TLC Essentials is the hard one to find.

It looks like the baby tlc is for the white part of the pattern and the other color is ww.  You might want to consider this yarn by Mary Maxim Starlette.  It is a nice soft ww, of course this depends on what color you are looking for.  There are no verigated or camo in this yarn.

Hope this helps.

The pattern actually uses Baby TLC yarn, which you can get from here http://www.redheart.com/yarn/baby-tlc

So it looks like you can use any WW yarn that has the color you want.  The TLC Essentials is the hard one to find.

It looks like the baby tlc is for the white part of the pattern and the other color is ww.

Hope this helps.

very cool, thank you Tampa Doll! i think the pattern did call for the TLC Essentials as well. i might give the worsted weight a try. i guess it won't hurt to see what i get with it. the required yarn just makes it look very soft in the picture. i think the kids would like it reguardless tho...

thanks again! you were very helpful  :clap

I think you can use any worsted or aran weight yarn you want to, just be sure you use a hook that gives you a nice dense stitch so the stuffing doesn't show through.  Simply Soft to me is a light worsted at best, really more of a DK weight, so the finished item will be a bit smaller.  

I don't have any personal knowledge about yarn-paradise, but i notice they are in Turkey and shipping to the US seems to take several weeks from what I read on the site.  before ordering i would be sure I know exactly how much shipping will cost and what the conditions are---if the package is lost or damaged, will they replace it for you for example.    You might find some reviews of it if you search in the posts here.  

I would go with your red heart stash, or head over to WalMart/Michaels wherever -- all of the yarn in the pattern is worsted weight, nothing special. 

And I agree, not just transport cost but VAT tax and whatever else might make shipping from Turkey ridiculous...esp. for a baby toy.  Not that your grandkids aren't special, of course ;) -- I could see shipping one of a kind exotic lace for a hand made wedding dress from Turkey maybe, but not acrylic yarn for a toy. 

magiccrochetfan, thanks for the help! i think i was lured to that yarn site by the great prices lol. there were skeins of some really nice stuff that was less than a dollar  :P very tempting! i know shipping from so far away would be outrageous, and really, the babies don't care lol

Granny Square, i think i'm going to do exactly what you say! i thought about making the pillows look like each family's family dog, so the Red Heart yarn would definitely have more choices. VERY good point you made about ordering from so far away for something exotic, as opposed to a toy. they're just going to beat them up anyway lol. i've been so concerned about the yarn because it looked so soft in the picture, but i think Red Heart has done a very good job softening up their yarn, as compared to what it used to be.

thanks to everyone, you've been very helpful!!

Archived