How would I wash an antique tablecloth?

RoseRed

Question

I was emptying out Mom's old hope chest and I found a gorgeous lace tablecloth that my Grandmother had made.  There was only one place that needed to be repaired and it was along the edge.  One of the knots came out.  That's done.

A few of the ends are loose.  Here's the problem.  I tried to weave it back in and realized just how fragile this thread is.  It broke right in my hand.   This thing has to be 50 or 60 years old - if not more.

I have no idea how to clean it.  It smells like a cross between cedar and mothballs.  It's awful. 

How am I supposed to wash this without destroying it?

4 answers to this question

I would try to air it first too. That will probably only take part of the smell out, but you could try airing it numerous days in a row.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the thread dry rotted. If it is possible to put it in water, I'd soak it in lukewarm water with a small amount of detergent and borax.

I think I'll just give it to my cousin and let her deal with it.  She'll probably just put it back in a chest with mothballs but she'll be so thrilled to have something like that.  Is it awful that I'm thinking of just passing it off instead of trying to clean it?  LOL

Archived